iPhone Replacement Rules

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DryEyez, May 30, 2012.

1. DryEyez macrumors 6502

Hi Guys my contract is coming to an end and I'm considering taking out a 18 month contract with a 4S, my phone has died so I can't wait for the iPhone 5.

My question is, I have seen many US users on the site comment that they can purchase an out-of-warranty replacement. If I were to buy a 4S for example, could I upgrade to the 5 for a fee when it is released from Apple? I have seen two numbers being quoted $149 and $199 but I'm not sure what that translates to here in the UK

Could anyone advise if it is possible to upgrade just by paying Apple a fee?

2. beret9987 macrumors regular

It's not an upgrade, but just a replacement on the phone you currently have. So if you break an iPhone 4 thats out of warranty, they give you an iPhone 4. Not a 4S. If you break a 4S, they give you a 4S(typically). You couldn't just auto receive an upgrade from them

3. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

Sure, but I heard in one thread a person had water damaged their iPhone 4. They could have a replacement for $149 for a refurbed 4, or for $199 they could have the 4s??

So, for $199 per year you can upgrade your iPhone, technically speaking?

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

If you break your phone, you will pay $149 for a replacement unit of that same type of device you have, that is, iphone 4 to iphone 4 (same color, same size), 4S to 4S. By paying $199 to get the 4S, you are essentially renewing your contract for 18-24 months.

I would wait a few month and when the next generation iPhone comes out, use your upgrade then. If you can't, just buy a cheap second hand iphone and use it for a while.

5. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Yes...Your getting confused, the 199 dollars is renewing a contract. The other fee is the replacement fee that is here in the UK. Its about £100 to swap it for a new iPhone 4 in an Apple Store.

6. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

No

7. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Here is how it works. I'm going to assume you have the 4. If you have any type of damage to the phone, you can go in and get an out of warranty replacement phone for $149 plus tax. This does not extend your contract at all. You would still be eligible for an upgrade the same time you are right now. The $199 only comes into effect if you have a 4S that is damaged.

Just go outside, drop your phone on some concrete, break the glass and go in and get a replacement phone. That is what many people do, especially when they are trying to sell a phone on Craigslist or Ebay. They sell it as a brand new phone.

8. completing macrumors member

If the Apple store doesn't have any iPhone 4 replacement unit, they will upgraded your to 4S for the same cost.
    This has been reported by many, and it might still be the case in some places.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The thread you read was likely a specific case where the person took in a broken 4, the Apple store had no more 4's of that color and storage capacity in stock, so the person was upgraded to a 4S.

A couple things to note:
    ~ This is the exception, not the rule
    ~ There is no good way to know if any particular store is out of refurbs, unless you call and they give you the info. Even then, you aren't guaranteed a 4S.
    ~ If you are referencing the thread I believe you are referencing, a whopping two people were successful doing this.

10. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

I'm sure it wasn't that many... I was one of the unsuccessful one with my broken glass iPhone 4, paying $149 to replace it and got a replacement iPhone 4 back. It really depends on your location and store, hoping that store had lots of people going in and being out of stock but rare/hard to find out.

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Within the area I live in, there are three Apple stores. None of them are consistent when it comes to replacement phones, when out of warranty.

They don't follow Apple's written policy, but instead it strictly depends on the person you encounter at either the genius bar, or in the general sales area.

In this university town, one of the Apple stores is just 3 miles from campus. They say incredibly busy when it comes to both the genius bar, and replacement phones.

I always arrive early for my appointment, and I've witnessed some really interesting transactions where phones were given out free.

So in this example one has a pretty good chance of getting a replacement, as they are very loose in the store. Easily giving away free replacements.