iPhone Resale Question. Please Help.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blairh, Sep 21, 2012.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

So I'm prepping my iPhone 4 with hopes of reselling it on Craigslist this weekend.

I want to restore it of course. I went the iPhone method by erasing everything. (General.....Reset.....Erase All Content And Settings.)

I did this after I had pulled out my old AT&T SIM card. (I'm now using my iPhone 5.)

Problem is that now I I'm prompted to insert a SIM to activate the phone. Can I simply throw my old Micro SIM back into the phone, activate it, and then have it set so they can test out the phone when I meet them in person? I'm a little confused right now. Some clarification would be appreciated.

2. bmtoups macrumors newbie

I've sold 2 iPhones before and neither of the people wanted to see a fully functional phone. They were satisfied with the no sim, setp screen. I sold my 4 today and he was fine buying it like that.

3. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Okay thanks. I'm selling it factory unlocked (which it is) so I don't know if that will make a difference or not.

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to restore an iPhone (say via iTunes), then activate it so the home screen/icons appear, and then just take out my old SIM? Perhaps that way I can show the potential buyer that the phone is working fine with respect to software, running the latest OS? Would I then need to do a restore in front of them (using the Settings method?).

4. bmtoups macrumors newbie

I have not tried doing that. You could always have the person buying your phone put their SIM card in and activate it in front of you. But like I said, both phones I've sold the person buying was happy with just seeing the very first screen.