iPhone restore as new question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by creativedogmedia, Sep 28, 2012.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I just spoke to Apple to make sure I was doing a restore correctly. I am doing this to see if I can get improved battery life on my iPhone 5. She said I needed to use iTunes and click restore....when it boots up select setup as new phone....then go back in and restore again but use my backup the next go round. Does that accomplish what I am looking to do with "starting over?"

2. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I don't think it does. You are still using your backup. Starting as a new phone would mean not using your old backup.

3. wknapp0924 macrumors 6502

Nope, What I did was restore the phone completely and did a backup from ICloud, but only brought over my contacts and redownloaded all my apps back and reset all my settings, if you restore from backup all your settings will go back and you wont know where your battery leakage is coming from.

4. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Ya...thats what I thought..she said the contents of the backup are not the concern but that it was the device itself. That doesnt make sense either because the device is brand new.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You can still restore from a backup to fix certain problems. It's only a problem if the backup is corrupted.

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

Don't restore from a backup. It'll restore what was on there which could have been affecting battery life.

7. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

So if I want to start fresh how do I know which apps to download back to my device once I am up an running?

8. batting1000 macrumors 604

All of them. I'm saying if you were to restore a backup, there might be something in the backup (not necessarily an app) that was affecting battery life.

9. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I mean do I have to go to the app store to get them individually or can I select them in iTunes somehow to start them downloading?

10. batting1000 macrumors 604

Either way.