iPhone restore question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrsir2009, Jan 11, 2012.

1. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'm going to try a full restore of my iPhone 4S in DFU mode to get iMessage working (apparently its worked for others) and I'm wondering just how much a full restore will restore. Like, will it restore all my settings, and when it restores my apps, will they be the same as before? For example, would my high scores in a game app be restored in a full restore or would the game be reverted to like it was when I purchased it?

Thanks!

2. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

3. TheiPhoneChick macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

As far as I know it restores everything down to your settings and apps. I did a restore and remember seeing my phone back exactly how it was before the restore.

4. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Ok, thanks, I'll take the plunge then... I don't suppose restoring it in DFU mode would affect it?

5. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

There are two types of restore that you should know.

1. Restore from backup: Once you DFU restore the phone, and if you choose this option as your restore option then yes everything should be back in your phone. However, corrupted files can creep along and may still encounter issues.

2. Restore as New: Once you DFU restore and if you choose to go this route, everything is deleted and will start from fresh, like it's been out of the box. You will then have to put each apps that you had back into your phone, including other data that you want in the phone.

6. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think I'll try the first restore option first, as I really don't want to lose all my stuff and start from scratch again... But if that doesnt work I guess I'll have to. Thanks for your explanation!