iPhone retina screen, how to get better one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by radiologyman, Aug 24, 2013.

1. radiologyman, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013

radiologyman macrumors 6502

My iPhone 4 had good contrast, 4s was noticeably worse. iPhone 5 is perfect and I'm afraid that 5s will be worse. I'm not getting in the screen cooler vs warmer debate here, I just want letters to be black and sharp. I'm with AT&T but I wonder if I should order from apple (store?) to make exchange easier if necessary. I think that screens vary from one OEM to another and even from one batch to another.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

apple store gives you 30 day returns with no restocking. if you anticipate buying/returning until you find a satisfactory screen, the apple store is probably the way to go.

3. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Don't say that! Hopefully the 5S screens are good. :(

4. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

It sounds like you spend too much time looking for problems. It's unhealthy for a phone to be such a source of anxiety. You'll never enjoy your iPhone if you're constantly obsessing about whether your screen is as good/better than someone else's. You'll end up seeing differences that aren't even there.

Relax and enjoy. Better still, go outdoors and look around - the graphics are amazing!

5. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

it's going to be a screen lottery like all generations.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I hear some companies are starting to track "serial returners."

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

^What he said.

Lots of retailers are doing this and I agree with it.

8. radiologyman, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013

radiologyman thread starter macrumors 6502

Too bad I read 2-3 hours a day on iPhone and I need good contrast. I don't care about blemishes, scratches etc. IPhone helps me to spend more time with family and outdoors since I can forgo library or pc. Anyways, hopefully my great iPhone 5 screen is a result of new screen technology apple used on it (integrated touch) and next screen will be equally great :)

9. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

If you read that much I would highly recommend an e-ink device like the Kindle. The most paperlike experience you can get with incredible contrast. And you can use sendtokindle to convert practically any webpage/document.

10. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

+1 for the Kindle.
    The Kindle Paperwhite is an excellent reading tablet. If I was going to be reading more than half an hour a day I would not punish my eyes by squinting at a tiny phone screen. And if you carry a Kindle, you don't have to worry about the battery on your phone.

11. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Apple gives you a 14 to 30 days window, depending on where you live, to return the device. You can call Apple to get a confirmation.

12. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

Like someone else said, it will be a panel lottery just like each previous generation. There are several long threads here about screen interlacing, washed out colors, etc. I have an interlacing screen and finally decided it's not worth it to obsess over these things. Don't really notice it anymore unless I'm trying to. Hopefully you get lucky again.