iPhone ringtones created in Garageband sound rubbish

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Changepoint, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Changepoint macrumors member

Changepoint

Am I doing something wrong here, because ringtones created in Garageband sound awful blaring out of my iPhone, compared to say..... my old Sony W600i. Has anyone else had poor sounding results when using GB for ringtones?

2. finn313 macrumors newbie

I've used it for all my ringtones, it sounds fine to me. Did you adjust the volume level? The other thing i would look at if its blarring your speakers is the quality of the song before it goes into GB, all mine were 192 quality and they have been great.

3. chkdg8 macrumors 6502

Sorry to bring up an old thread but it's the only one out there on this subject. Now that it's easier than ever to make custom ringtones through GarageBand '09, the auto adjustment that it makes and then dumps the m4r file into iTunes just sounds awful in comparison to the original. I also made sure that my original file quality was at least 192kbps or above. Are there custom sound adjustments that I can do before the conversion or is it just completely automated from here on out?

4. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

They sound fine to me, the ones that I have made through GB. Most of my music is 256k+.

5. The General macrumors 601

Use Audacity. High pass at 100hz, adjust peak limiter to your liking. Export as aac, rename to m4r

6. aristotle macrumors 68000

aristotle

I just use iTunes 8.2 using the following steps.
    1. Set your Import settings to iTunes plus.
    2. Find a high bit-rate MP3 or iTunes Plus track.
    3. Find the 30 second or shorter section that you want to convert.
    4. Select "Get Info" and the Options tab.
    5. Edit the Stop Time value (and possibly the Start Time if not starting from top of song) Click Ok.
    6. Select Song, select Create AAC version.
    7. Drag 30 second version to desktop.
    8. Delete 30 second version from library.
    9. Change filename extension to M4r of file dragged to desktop.
    10. Double click on filename to import as Ringtone.
    11. Edit original song Get Info Options Start and End to original values and uncheck start and end times.
    12. Sync iPhone.

7. outphase macrumors 65816

That's what I do in Ubuntu. I simply just cut the 30 sec I want from a song, but I don't filter it.

8. The General macrumors 601

That is a lot of steps for a piss poor result. You have the worst accuracy possible. With one second intervals, there's no way you can make the ringtone exactly what you want. You also don't get fade it or fade out, and you aren't able to optimize the file to sound good on the iPhone's tiny speaker.