iPhone robbery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DerekRod, Feb 27, 2012.

1. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

So it happened to me.Walking to the ferry in Manhattan(South Ferry)I was robbed at knifepoint my 4S and wallet were taken.Filed police reports etc.Got assurion to send me a replacement.Will my applecare+ cover the replacement phone?

2. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

Good god. I'm glad you're alright. I'm sure Apple would transfer the ACare over given your situation.

3. DerekRod thread starter macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Thanks,pretty freaky how it went down.I always keep it in my pocket I think the guy followed me from the subway.Ill have to call apple when it arrives and ask about transferring it

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Damn dude sounds scary. Was there nobody else around?

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Providing the OP is not lying, I can't understand what lowlife would down vote this -_-

OP that sounds really scary. Apple generally has really good customer service so I am sure that they would transfer it. Be sure to give apple the SN also so they can tell the police its stolen if they come to return it.

6. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Yeah, call apple and tell them you need it transferd to your replacement phone. Damn thugs scumbags. Did you have Find My Phone installed?

7. DerekRod thread starter macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Yeah I did ended up in Brooklyn Bensonhurst area it was late(3AM)got a cop at the ferry terminal filed a report phone went offline in Bensonhurst after I sent a message offering a reward and number.Could've been worse there was a man thrown knocked onto the tracks for his iPhone.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You can't transfer AC to another device. You will have to cancel it and re-buy.

9. DerekRod thread starter macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Yikes.If the phones password protected can they still restore it using iTunes?

10. swiftbmx macrumors regular

Wait, did it happen in Brooklyn or Manhattan?

11. DerekRod thread starter macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

happened right by the Staten Island Ferry terminal in manhattan when I got home the phone ended up in Bensonhurst according to Find My iPhone

12. swiftbmx macrumors regular

OK, sorry to hear. Anymore details that us NYC'ers can use to prevent this from happening to us? Were there anyone around? Was it a darker street? What did the guy look like? What did he say, etc? Could definitely help some of us.

13. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Wrong. I have done this. They will transfer for warranty and or insurance claims.

14. DerekRod thread starter macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Be careful of your surroundings guy mustve followed me.Took the 5 train from 68th street to bowling green got off and out of the station.They guy ran up on me on state street asked for my phone and my wallet told him to **** off then he pulled the knife out so I gave it to him not getting stabbed over a phone

15. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

What a splendid human being. I hope he tries that again on someone and gets hit by a train.

16. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Yeah, in bad areas stash your wallet some other place-sock, shoe, etc. Carry a dummy wallet with a couple of bucks and some old gift cards. Throw that at him next time.

17. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

I've read that you should keep at least 25 dollars in your wallet. You're less inclined to be <insert badness here> if there's a decent amount in the wallet.

It's also easier to cancel your cards and get new ones than it is to be stabbed or shot to death and resurrect from the dead.

18. DerekRod thread starter macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Wasn't a bad area though I've made that walk 100s of times to get home.wish NYC didn't have such stupid laws law abiding citizens can't have any locking knives but all the criminals do I guess I need to find a new way home.Sad thing I was worried my iPhone battery wasn't gonna last all night....

19. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

So you wanted to do a knife fight? :confused:

20. In Like Flynn macrumors regular

What a breath of fresh air :)
    So many guys leave their iphone lying about, in bars, restaurants, etc, then call them "stolen".
    It's so nice to read a post about an actual "stolen" phone, and at kniifepoint no less! (how cool is that!)
    Hope Apple get's u set up nicely OP, glad ur OK :)
    (I woulda kicked him in the walnuts and ran) :D

21. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Damn that totally sucks! Was the phone on Verizon or Sprint? You can have the esn reported and the phone would be worthless

22. DerekRod thread starter macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

NOPE!AT&T -___- no sim is a good thing for a phone when stolen alot harder to hide it

23. nycfly89 macrumors member

nycfly89

to be honest im quite sad and disgusted what has been going on in the city lately due to thefts over iphones. i havent heard of this happening until recently. im about to carry around my old flip phone as dummy phone, its getting ridiculous.

i am glad you are OK!

24. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

That sucks op, good thing you're oaky though. Did you do a remote lock/wipe of the phone in addition to sending the message offering a reward for return? If not make sure you change your apple id, email passwords, etc.

Sucks, but better than getting stabbed over a phone.