iPhone Screen Size Dilemma...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    There are a lot of people complaining about the possibility of Apple increasing ONLY the vertical length of the screen to reach a 4" screen. I can think of 4 possible solutions that Apple could do with screen size.. and when I analyze all of them I believe that the rumored 16:9 screen is the best possible solution. Let's take a look.

Option 1: Keep 3.5" screen
    This would obviously be the simplest solution, not to mention the least risky. However in a growing screen size world, Apple wouldn't want to be left behind. 4"+ really are the standard, so I think if it is possible to get to 4", I think Apple should. PLUS it would be helpful to have a slightly larger phone to accomodate a larger battery for the LTE battery drain.

Option 2: Increase to 4", but keep the same resolution
    Like the option 1 above, this would be very easy with very little risk.
    Pros: It achieves a 4" screen. It creates a larger phone to accomodate a larger battery. It would instantly work perfectly with all existing apps
    Cons: It adds ZERO extra real estate (see: why bother?). It would technically fall outside of Apple's definition of "retina". Would feel like a cop out, just Apple succumbing to peer pressure.

Option 3: The rumored 4" 16:9 aspect, only adding height
    Pros: Keeps retina display. Larger phone, larger battery. Adds larger screen real estate. Would allow for 4 extra icons on each home screen. Width would still allow to fit in all existing docks (forgetting for a moment the rumored new port). Is easily scalable for many apps. Zero black bars for watching videos.
    Cons: Some apps would have to be adapted. Subjective: Some people want added width or think ratio may look "funny" or "bad"

Option 4: 4", maintain aspect ratio but increase resolution to maintain PPI
    Pros: Keeps retina display. Larger phone, larger battery. Adds larger screen real estate.
    Cons: All apps would have adapted. Not enough room on home screen to add additional icons.

I think all 4 options are conceivable, but ultimately I personally like option 3 because...

Option 1 is out because I want a larger screen. I don't like option two because it doesn't add any real estate, it simply gives larger font for weak eyes. And I'm no developer, but I would think that option 4 would be kind of a nightmare. I like option 3 because I feel it is a decent compromise. It adds screen, adds real estate, perfect for video, adds a more useful home screen (4 more icons) and, although it does require effort from devs, is relatively painless.

I hope I've given a pretty accurate depiction for each option. Which option do you all think is best?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I want option 1. Option 3 is acceptable if only for the 16:9 ration. All others are not acceptable at all.

TEG

3. aztooh macrumors 6502a

I don't think the complaints are of the screen itself being made taller, it's the fact (assuming the 'leaked' photos are correct) that they didn't do anything about the top/bottom bezels and the phone looks very awkward.

Like I've mentioned, there are at least a few phones out there that have a 4" 16:9 display in a nice looking shell about the size of the iPhone. It's definitely time Apple gives a larger screen, in a widescreen format...but if they can't engineer a nice body around it, it's kind of pointless.

4. BamaATL macrumors member

Option 1 for me as well.

I know all the other vendors are increasing size, but the current size is perfect for me. Granted I don't do gaming or watch much videos, so I can understand other's desire for a larger screen.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Option 3 seems interesting... I'd like to see how it pans out.

6. TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

The screen size is not really a concern for me. I am more interested in iOS 6, a better camera (currently have the 5MP camera on the iPhone 4), LTE, and hopefully a faster processor.

7. aztooh macrumors 6502a

It's a thread about the screen size. If it's not a concern for you, why post in the thread at all?

8. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

That could certainly be some of the complaints, but many many of them are defintely about the screen not being wider.

Yes I totally agree that I am much more excited about those things (particularly iOS 6 and LTE) than the screen size, which is why I would buy the next iPhone no matter which option was chosen.

9. TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

Ah yes... the I don't agree with you so I'll complain about your post argument. Well played!

In case you missed it, my first sentence was about.... wait for it.... screen size!

Don't take life too so seriously. It's Friday, the first day of June. Step outside, enjoy life, and quit worrying so much about someone else's opinion. :)

10. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Please tell me where I agreed or disagreed with anything in your statement? Yes, you sure did mention screen size, saying it's of no concern to you.

Comments like yours just clutter up posts. And yes, I realize my replies to you are doing the same. There are plenty of other threads about the 'new' phone in general, since screen size is of no concern to you, why couldn't you post in one of them instead of coming to one titled "screen size dilema"?

oh, and I'm glad you can determine how serious I take life, how much I get outside and my enjoyment level from one single post on an iPhone forum. I should be the one telling you to step outside and enjoy life instead of interjecting your opinion on a topic that you admit is of no concern to you.

11. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

My question would be this: Which would you rather live in, a tiny fully furnished doll house or a full sized doll house with the same amount of furniture?

See? Size does matter. You don't have to have more furniture. You don't have to have twice the icons on the screen, but it would be nice if you didn't have to use a magnifying glass to see them.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am not sure I understand this last statement. Are you implying a magnifying glass is needed to see icons on the current iPhones (any generation)? If so, by who? I don't see a whole lot (read: none, ever) of people with decent vision or properly corrected vision pulling out the magnifying glass when using their iPhones.

13. burnside macrumors 6502

He's not worried about your opinion, he just made a good point. The OP gave 4 options, not one of them said "I don't care about screen size". We're interested in what screen size people want. If you have no interest in screen size, which by your post you don't, then just move along.

Option 3 for me. I use my phone in portrait mode most of the time, so the added height would be welcomed.

14. Jarre macrumors newbie

I would prefer a bigger screen. However i think a good option would be to produce two models. One of the current size and one of a bigger size, then people can make the choice.

If a bigger screen is produced, a higher resolution to match would also be nice :D

15. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

The main problem that I see with option 3 is how apps would be in landscape. I think most would look pretty awkward.. Which is ok with me because I keep my iPhone locked in portrait.

two issues. First 3.5" and 4" are too close. That would be kinda ridiculous. If apple did something like 3.5" and 4.6" it would pose more of a difference

Plus it would be a terrible choice for apple to fragment into two resolutions... Sure, introducing a new resolution now would be fragmented from the old, but the old will be phased out over time. No real to perpetuate fragmentation. I think 4" is a good compromise