iPhone screen size related to iPad mini?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jdlindsey7, Jul 19, 2012.

1. jdlindsey7 macrumors regular

Does anyone think the screen size of the next iPhone has anything to do with the rumors of the mini iPad? Do you think Apple considered a bigger screen but didn't want to close the gap any because people wouldn't consider getting both? I considered getting the Nexus tablet but decided to wait and take a look at the Note 2 phone first because the difference in screen size is very little. I'm not saying Apple backed off a 5.5" design, but maybe in the 4.5-4.8" range. Just a thought.

2. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

If they're willing to open up options with their tablets and offer both the iPad and iPad Mini, I don't see why they can't or shouldn't do the same for the iPhone. Time will tell for both.

3. gta50419 macrumors 6502

It's possible but I don't think apple will go over a 4.5ish screen for a phone

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No, ever since the iPhone came out the comments Apple executives have made about it being "the perfect screen size" all seem to revolve around the idea of one-handed use. That's where their heads seem to be at.

Thus, when Apple talked about liking their screen size it was clear to me that they specifically meant the width of the phone.

So this taller phone isn't all that shocking. It's the only way to make it bigger while still adhering to the things that Apple's executives apparently think is very important.

In other words, this is probably what would be happening even if there were no iPads whatsoever.

5. jdlindsey7 thread starter macrumors regular

Apple also said there is no market for a 7 inch tablet... Apple is great, but they have been proven wrong again and again as technology has evolved

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Not the same. Their negative comments are different than their positive ones.

Steve said no one read books and then they came out with iBooks. He said tablets weren't good for anything and then came out with a tablet. Intel chips weren't good...until they were. And so on. (Including your example: 7" tablets are worthless...until they make one.)

In each of those cases they were saying something wasn't important until they did it...they didn't want anyone to know where they were headed. Yes, they often say negative things about products they're actively planning.

But the screen size thing is different. If they'd kept talking about how large phones were bad, I'd agree with you. They'd be misdirecting in order to hide their own large phone.

But that's not what they kept saying. (There may be an exception, I'm talking about the average message here when you listen to multiple events.) They always talked about how much they liked the current size. It was almost always positive comments about what they liked about their screen instead of negative comments about other phone's screens.

In my view, when Apple says they don't like "x" that probably means they're experimenting with "x." When they say they do like "y" that means they probably really do like "y."

I can think of many examples where they turn around on a "dislike" statement. Has there ever been a time they turned their back on an opinion they were positive about? I'm having trouble of thinking of any.

To me, their screen-size comments about the iPhone are completely different than their comments about iPad screen sizes.