iPhone Screen Toughness?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by w00t951, Nov 16, 2010.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I have a case and a double (front and back) screen protector on my iPhone 4. So far, the phone is perfect. I was wondering if I can take off the screen protector off the front, because it is just annoying. There are no scratches on the surface of the protector, and the phone mostly sits in my hand or in my pocket with some lint. Can someone with experience with the iPhone 4 please tell me if the screen is capable of withstanding normal, everyday use without scratching? Thank you. :D

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's how it was designed to be used. I've only hav problems if I use the screen with sand or some other granular thing on my finger. Then I get scratches.

3. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

That's understandable, but do you think that normal pocket lint could cause a scratch?

4. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

Here is my scratch testing I did, pretty much the only one I've seen online, but people ruined it by complaining that it didn't have pictures (I don't own a separate camera)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=984981&highlight=

you can live two ways

a) use shields and toss your phone around knowing its well protected, and just replace the shields when they get scratched, but know that you have a 100% scratch free front glass

b) Don't use a shield protector, but you have to be careful to always take care of the front glass, put your phone in an empty pocket, etc and still risk the chance of tiny scratches. Even lint can have small pieces of minerals from sand that can scratch Quartz ( glass)

No one can tell you how to live, but I myself am shield less, since I take good care of my iPhone but also am not OCD about the slight scratches it has developed over the past couple of months.

5. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

6. M-5, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I've been using my iPhone 4 without any screen protector for a couple of months now. I usually have it without a case at home, but I use mostly the Apple bumper or occasionally the Incase snap smoke case when I go out, and I just wiped down my phone and tried to look for scratches while holding the phone next to a lamp, but I can't see any.

I always carry it in my pocket, but I never carry it with keys or anything else in the same pocket.

Although, I have read a couple of times here of people saying theirs got scratched even though they supposedly took very good care of it. So I'm thinking that if you happen to have some particles like sand in your pocket that it would be very difficult to tell and they could cause your phone to receive scratches.

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I took moderate care (not babying) of my iPhone 4. It's always face up when put down, and nothing else harder than plastic goes into the pocket with it.

However, you can't control every thing, and the phone has tiny micro scratches all over it, and one deep scratch (you can't see any of these unless you're looking for it). I've since put a protector on it.

8. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

Bestskinever on back (which gets scratched oh so easily).

Front naked - it won't get scratches.

If you use a bumper add a skin to the sides as well since it appears bumpers paradoxically scratch the sides!