iPhone SE is a BIG hit in China (huge pre-order sales)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nfl46, Mar 28, 2016.

1. nfl46 macrumors 603

A CNBC report claims that Apple has received more than 3.4M pre-orders for the iPhone SE through retailers in China. The report says that gold was the most popular color, accounting for 1.3M orders, with rose gold close behind at 1.2M. If the numbers are correct, adding in orders direct from Apple and in other countries could see some very impressive sales numbers …

The report says that Apple’s decision to push sales through pre-orders was partly to reduce the huge queues that have been seen outside retail stores for previous launches. The disruption caused by these was said to have angered many, some even throwing eggs at stores.

Scalpers seem to be the only ones unhappy with the arrangements. For the iPhone 6, they were demanding a premium of $300 for a launch-day phone, while they are reportedly unable to charge more than a $30 premium for the lower-cost SE.

Apple doesn’t generally break down sales numbers by models, and we’ll likely have to wait until next week before we hear any official numbers for iPhone sales, wtih the SE going on sale in stores on Thursday.

You can see how the SE compares to the rest of the line-up, and you’ll also be able to find out how both Zac and I get on with our iPhone SEs once we get our hands on them later this week.

-------------------------

Wow! More than 3.4M, and probably millions in the US. We may be looking at around 7-8 million sales in the first weekend! UNBELIEVABLE! Way to go, Apple!

2. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

This doesn't surprise me at all. The price point is very attractive considering what you get.

3. nfl46, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016

nfl46 thread starter macrumors 603

I am very surprised. I said 3-5 million in the first week. Too bad, they will get that amount just in China. I have to hand it to Apple, they are always beating expectations.

4. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Didn't the Chinese go crazy for the + model? Seems like they either love going huge or small.. Nothing in the middle! Lol

5. nox5 macrumors 6502

6. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

The same CNBC video appeared twice in the iOS Stocks app. First, with a headline announcing 3.4 million pre-orders in China; the same video is now tied to a report that carries the headline, "The new iPhone may have a China problem."

What is the "China problem," you may ask? That bit about scalpers not being able to charge exorbitant prices. And that social media postings show a significant number of people prefer a larger screen.

What really drives scalper prices up in the first place? Backorders. Why pay a premium if there's an adequate supply when you check availability? So, Apple's "China problem" is that they have sufficient inventory to ship 3.4 million devices in China alone on Day One. For a third-tier model. That received far less advance hype than the usual fall model release. That has a 4" screen that "nobody" wants anymore...

First, Apple is missing out on business because it doesn't offer larger screens. Now that Apple sells larger screens, it's a problem that people do want larger screens? Then, despite the preference for larger screens, 3.4 million Chinese have so far said, "Smaller screen is good for us?" 3.4 million who were not, presumably, lining up in droves to order the same-sized 5s?

Am I missing something?

7. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

There was me thinking the Chinese were smart.

Good luck with your first gen touch id that takes about a year to unlock :D

8. AppleRobert macrumors 603

And a reason you can walk into any Apple Store in the US on release day and get one without preordering. And I doubt there will be much camping out.

9. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Agreed. It shouldn't be a problem for us here in NA.

10. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Isn't 3.4 million in China the equivalent of about 12 in the U.S??? [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

What's it like living your life defined by hating something you don't like rather than by enjoying something you do like? It must be exhausting.

We get it, you don't like the SE. At this point it is starting to look like you are just trolling for attention while you wait for your Ready Brek to cool down.

Assuming the Touch ID sensor is the same one used in the 5S, I can't see any problem with that. I've never had an issue with it in all the time I've used it. It's almost like you're desperately looking for something to criticise about the SE because you were expecting it to be worse than it actually is and are now struggling to make your preconceived opinions about it sucking actually fit with the facts.

The launch event must have been devastating for you, since it confirmed all of your fears that the SE is actually a decent phone and thus very hard to bash without looking foolish.

Still, 3/10 for effort though.

12. vcof2005 macrumors member

13. Brady0123 macrumors member

Brady0123

I just want to know how many orders in India~~~

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

0 there's no confirmed date for India

15. cableguy84, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016

cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

You need to chill, its ok calm down. There must be truth in what im saying, why would you get so annoyed otherwise

16. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

You get a slightly smaller iPhone 6S minus 3D Touch for $399. Of course it's going to be a big hit, not just China, but all over the globe.

17. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

Don't think they'll notice nor care because they'll actually be using their phones.

18. NewtonPippin macrumors regular

And why exactly should I care about sales in China? I live in the United States.

19. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Not really, and by that I mean not at all. People don't like it when you rain on their parade. There are plenty of products I don't want. I have good reasons for not wanting them. There will be threads by people who will be really excited about buying said product which I have no use for. Instead of going in to these threads and strongly implying that anyone who buys the product which I have no use for is an idiot, I assume that their needs differ to mine. And instead of raining on their parade, I keep quiet, let them enjoy themselves, and not try and make them justify a desicsion which has nothing to do with me.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

How long have we been saying that a reasonably priced iPhone would sell hotter than hot cakes?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 29, 2016 ---
    The guy posts.sometjjng similarly ludicrous in most SE threads that pop up. It's not worth your time.

21. cableguy84 macrumors 6502a

cableguy84

I have lost count of how many times i have seen the 6/6S plus ridiculed on these boards . The same rules apply to everyone

22. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I'm sure it does happen. I don't like the 6/6s plus, so I don't go into those threads. As I said no desire to rain on their parade. Because I know it's really annoying, and I accept that people have different needs and wants than my own.

23. Menace10 macrumors newbie

Menace10

The same question can be asked: why should (we) care about you living in the US ?

24. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

25. Savor Suspended

Savor

I think the Chinese aren't liking the SE mostly for size but in price.

This SE "budget" iPhone should sell well initially for offering tremendous value and will still consistently sell well after a couple years. But don't be surprised with alot of buyer's remorse when the people wanting to go back to small screen can't handle it anymore. Expect poorer resale value than the 6s line since the price is fairly low already and after the initial honeymoon phase is over, we will see how hard it is for many people to go back to "4 after adapting to "4.7-"5.5 for a couple years already.

Those people who swore they would never get a big phone back in 2013 are now saying they can't go back to a smaller screen like the SE. It will start to look and feel like a kid's toy to many after being accustomed to the 6 series already.