Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Hi Guys,
I have iOS 12 on the SE and High Sierra on my MacBook running the latest iTunes.

I noticed that of last night, my iTunes no longer sees the SE (although it still sees my X).

I've tried restarts, change leads etc and I can't get iTunes to recognises the SE even though the Photos App sees all of the photos etc.

Any ideas please? I've wasted hours trying to get this to work :'(

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Are both of your phones on iOS12? When iOS12 came out, there was a file download for iTunes that allowed phones on iOS12 to connect properly.. If you don’t have a problem with your X and it’s on the same version of iOS, not sure what the problem could be.

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi Guys,
I have iOS 12 on the SE and High Sierra on my MacBook running the latest iTunes.

I noticed that of last night, my iTunes no longer sees the SE (although it still sees my X).

I've tried restarts, change leads etc and I can't get iTunes to recognises the SE even though the Photos App sees all of the photos etc.

Any ideas please? I've wasted hours trying to get this to work :'(
You have now encountered what a lot of others have at various points with OS X, iTunes and iOS. Here is the deal.

iOS 12 requires a computer running iTunes 12.9 or higher. 12.9 was released on September 24, 2018.

iTunes 12 requires OS X 10.14 Mohave at a minimum. You are on OS X 10.13 High Sierra.

You're going to have to upgrade OS X. If you can't do that because your Mac cannot run 10.14 then you'll either need a new Mac or to use a Windows computer that can run iTunes 12.9.

This is Apple.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Are both of your phones on iOS12? When iOS12 came out, there was a file download for iTunes that allowed phones on iOS12 to connect properly.. If you don’t have a problem with your X and it’s on the same version of iOS, not sure what the problem could be.

Ah that sounds like the problem! My X is still on iOS11 and my old 4S is on 9 - both connect to iTunes no problem. I'm running the latest iTunes. Didn't know about the file though. Any idea how to get it?
[doublepost=1539195754][/doublepost]
You have now encountered what a lot of others have at various points with OS X, iTunes and iOS. Here is the deal.

iOS 12 requires a computer running iTunes 12.9 or higher. 12.9 was released on September 24, 2018.

iTunes 12 requires OS X 10.14 Mohave at a minimum. You are on OS X 10.13 High Sierra.

You're going to have to upgrade OS X. If you can't do that because your Mac cannot run 10.14 then you'll either need a new Mac or to use a Windows computer that can run iTunes 12.9.

This is Apple.

Thank you buddy! I'm running iTunes 12.8 and according to Apple, that will work with iOS12 so I havn't a clue the problem as I got it to work once today & backed up the SE but have not had any luck with it seeing iTunes since :(
I'm gutted as I deliberately don't buy a lot of tech in order to try and not get crappy problems like this! First time in 8 years that i've had a sync problem - very unlike Apple - maybe QC is slipping.

Reactions: eyoungren

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Ah that sounds like the problem! My X is still on iOS11 and my old 4S is on 9 - both connect to iTunes no problem. I'm running the latest iTunes. Didn't know about the file though. Any idea how to get it?
[doublepost=1539195754][/doublepost]

Thank you buddy! I'm running iTunes 12.8 and according to Apple, that will work with iOS12 so I havn't a clue the problem as I got it to work once today & backed up the SE but have not had any luck with it seeing iTunes since :(
I'm gutted as I deliberately don't buy a lot of tech in order to try and not get crappy problems like this! First time in 8 years that i've had a sync problem - very unlike Apple - maybe QC is slipping.
I didn’t see it either after updating my devices to iOS12. What I had to do was delete iTunes from my mac and then reinstall it from the Apple website. Right after I did that and plugged in my X, a popup came on screen asking to download a supplemental file to allow access to devices running iOS12. This only seems to effect macs that cant run Mojave(I’m on High Sierra also)

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
I didn’t see it either after updating my devices to iOS12. What I had to do was delete iTunes from my mac and then reinstall it from the Apple website. Right after I did that and plugged in my X, a popup came on screen asking to download a supplemental file to allow access to devices running iOS12. This only seems to effect macs that cant run Mojave(I’m on High Sierra also)

This^^^^. I had to download the supplemental as well. I used iTunes to update to IOS12 and got the popup during the update process.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
THANK YOU so much guys! I found this on Apple's forum too. I reinstalled iTunes, plugged in the SE running iOS12 and got the notice about downloading the extra thing.

Super bad on Apple's part for not including an iTunes update etc as a lot of people don't upgrade their OS in the first week especially after last years iOS 11 nightmare.

This is the first time that i've installed a new iOS in the first few weeks, normally I wait until Christmas time and this has shown me that waiting is sometimes a good idea.

Very much appreciate all of your advice guys! Thank you :)

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010

Is your entire media library retained after the re installation of iTunes or will I need to re organize my entire music library all over again?

Can you please give me/us a guide on how you properly uninstalled and reinstall iTunes to solver this sync issue with macs running El Captain and iOS12

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Is your entire media library retained after the re installation of iTunes or will I need to re organize my entire music library all over again?

Can you please give me/us a guide on how you properly uninstalled and reinstall iTunes to solver this sync issue with macs running El Captain and iOS12

Yes it was perfect! Identical to an iTunes update!
[doublepost=1539708977][/doublepost]

I simply downloaded iTunes from the Apple page and once downloaded I clicked on the icon to install it. The MacBook did the rest.
I also made sure that I had a recent backup on my LaCie harddrive just in case something went wrong. Luckily, it was perfect in Apple's usual style I guess.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Do you think Apple could potentially issue this “hotfix” to all Mac users that do not wish to go through this “uninstall iTunes and reinstall” workaround in a future iTunes update or we shouldn’t count on it? Because I don’t mind waiting till the next iTunes update if perhaps that will fix this sync issue with an iPhone X running iOS 12 on El captian not being able to sync at all with the only workaround appearing to be a complete Uninstall and reinstall of iTunes

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I had the same problem immediately iOS 12 was released. There is no need to uninstall iTunes, just redownload and install a new one from Apple, then launch iTunes with your phone already connected and the pop up for software update appears.

bradinski

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2018
So happy I finally found this thread! I was pulling my hair out. I updated to Mac OS High Sierra a while ago and when I updated to iOS 12 my iPhone 6 stopped appearing in iTunes. I couldn't find any mention of this issue on the Apple website and wasn't able to back up my phone for the past month.

As Lyn2012 states, there's no need to uninstall iTunes, just redownload it from Apple's website and install. During installation it informs you that a patch needs to be applied for your iPhone to be recognized. After the installation completed, my phone showed up once again in iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.