iPhone SE Makes Third Appearance on Apple's Clearance Store at $249—Act Fast

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 31, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has replenished stock of the iPhone SE on its online clearance store for the third time this month. These are brand new, unopened, and unlocked models starting at $249 in the United States. Availability dwindled very quickly in the each of the first two times the iPhone SE was added, so act fast.

[​IMG]

Apple is offering the iPhone SE with 32GB of storage for $249 and with 128GB for $299 in Silver, Space Gray, Gold, and Rose Gold. Tech specs include a 4-inch Retina display, A9 chip, Touch ID, 12-megapixel rear camera, and 3.5mm headphone jack.

Prior to being pulled, the iPhone SE was available with 32GB and 128GB of storage for $349 and $449 respectively, so Apple is offering $100 to $150 off. The device was originally released in March 2016 and was popular among fans of smaller smartphones and those who preferred the iPhone 5-like design.

(Thanks, Bob!)

Article Link: iPhone SE Makes Third Appearance on Apple's Clearance Store at $249--Act Fast

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

3. HappyDude20 macrumors 68030

HappyDude20

If the SE had 3D Touch I would easily consider it as Apple’s best phone.

Either way, it’s an incredibly fast and reliable phone, at a perfect size and great price.

4. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

So much for Tim's basement. Must have had a bunch in The Steve Jobs Theater Bunker. ;)

5. Relentless Power, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Test three initiated. This is remotely strange by Apple with these three separate clearance launches. I hope the SE is revived in some form or another. These are the products that deliver diversity for those who don’t want a larger phone.

6. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

How long before an upcoming iOS version won't be compatible with the aging A9 chip? I don't see much life left in these, in the long run...

7. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

IMO, yes. :apple:

8. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

I GOT IT I ****ING FINALLY GOT IT WOOOOOOO! 128GB in Space Gray!

What's funny is that I ordered a 64GB iPhone SE from an eBay seller basically new in box and it's arriving today because I didn't think this would happen again. Whoops. I guess I'll have to sell that privately now.

I'm just happy because I just missed the first two times.

9. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

No.
    They know what the demand is for the SE. They have a few years of actual sales data to analyze and forecast.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

They do? @yaxomoxay asked a solid question and provokes thought what exactly is Apple’s intention with these ‘mini clearance’ launches. Then can you explain why Apple discontinued the SE if they have a full understanding for those who actually liked this device? Because I don’t think Apple does know the demand, and I think they underestimated this phone when it launched three years back.

11. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Just got two 128GB. Finally. And just when I was getting a ‘storage is full’ message on my 64GB.

Now I’m kind of hoping they don’t update it in March or April!

12. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

Wow it truly is the McRib of the phone business. Act fast-to buy a seriously old phone. Pure genius to make something with little demand into something highly sought after.

13. tridley68 macrumors 6502a

tridley68

Got to get rid of thoes old outdated parts to make room for the new i phones.

14. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

Yes and iOS 13 is going to age the SE very badly given what's expected this year.

15. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

They know _what_ the demand is. That doesn't mean the demand is high.

16. Remy149 macrumors 6502

Seems like they are trying to get rid of inventory. It’s hard to gauge interest when a product is being sold for such a low price

17. LordVic macrumors 603

I'm more willing to bet a cache of unsold stock that they had returned from vendors.

I doubt Apple is opening up supply chain/ manufacturing for such low volumes of SE's judging by how fast they've sold.

Selling them off this way helps as well prevent an inventory write off should they sit too long in inventory without being sold. Inventory write ofs have massive affects on a companies bottom line.

18. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

I dont get it, are they testing the waters to see if people would be interested in an SE2? The answer is HECK YES

Just release the dang thing already stop shunning your greatest fans

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

No one said the demand ‘was high’ either way, the point that was brought up, is it seems Apple is underestimating the category for those appreciate smaller devices, similarly to how the iPad mini has not been revived either. These smaller devices easily have a place in Apples product line, and the SE is just one example of that.

20. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

This is my primary concern as well. Not only that, but will future iOS updates essentially cripple the performance of the SE? With the exception of iOS 12, each update has had a negative effect on performance, even when usage hasn't changed.

More generally, this isn't a great deal... it's 2016 hardware for $400 CAD + tax. I love the form factor, but let's not pretend this is a steal.

21. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Always puzzled by people who have to jump in on these threads just to trash the iPhone SE.

Why?
    You'd think they'd be happy Apple are selling more units… no?

Or is this some teenage male thing? Big, Bigger, **** Yeah Bestest!

22. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Based on what? The phone has much better single-core performance than the Galaxy S8.

It's still an extremely capable device, regardless of its age. Unless Apple seriously drop the ball on software optimisation, there's no reason it shouldn't run iOS 13 smoothly.

23. EssModelsRule macrumors regular

I noticed Verizon had stock of 32GB space grey models online yesterday (at full price), and they’ve been completely out of stock for months before that I believe. This clearance sale is just weird. Hope it means a smaller iPhone is somewhere in the pipeline.

24. LordVic macrumors 603

who the heck is trashing the SE? sounds like you're making up a boogey man for some reason.

the most noticable trend in this thread is people who WANT more SE. want an SE2 and want an updated form factor for it. If anything these threads are people begging for more SE like goodness.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 31, 2019 ---
    that'll depend if iOS13 is more like iOS12, or iOS11. iOS11 was terrible on any device I had it on.. iOS12 has been much MUCH better (including an SE).

the problem is, we just don't know till iOS13 comes out.

25. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Oh hello. Have a read. Do.