iPhone SE Makes Third Appearance on Apple's Clearance Store at $249—Act Fast

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 31, 2019.

1. KPandian1, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019

KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Looks like there won't be another batch released during this weekend. The Geniuses behind this promo are taking the time off for a football game.

2. ghsNick, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019

ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

I’d love to buy a Space Gray (128gb) from anyone who snagged an extra one???

If you’re interested in selling, please PM me!

(If not, I hope they do one more of these sales!)

3. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

What I LOVE about the SE.

Small
    TouchID
    Small
    Headphone jack
    Small
    CHEAP!
    Small
    F-a-s-t
    Small
    Flat sides (use Level / Measure)
    Small

Oh, and did I say Small?

If Apple made a FaceID X version that is no more than 4.5" diagonal phone size (4.3" screen) and <$450 then I would consider that.
    For now, the SE is the best size for me.

[​IMG]

I am Tweeting Tim:
    #moreSEplease

4. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Just got my new SE. It came loaded with 11.4.1.

Interesting thing, when I plugged it into iTunes to restore it, I noticed the latest iTunes still has the SE pictured with the new phones. I'm sure it's a low priority for Apple but considering they stopped selling it directly when iOS 12 came out, and there have been several updates of iTunes, you'd think they would have changed the graphic to show only the models they currently offer directly.

5. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502a

I updated mine to 12.1.3 to restore the backup from the 32GB one I had, so I didn’t get the chance to see what version it had. Since it seems to have been 11.4.1 I’m glad I updated, would rather leave the buggy mess of iOS 11 behind for good. Apparently my 128GB SG was made in August 2018, thing is practically brand new! Well, it is new, but you know what I mean.

6. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

How do you check the manufacture date?

7. lipmonger macrumors newbie

lipmonger

I joined MacRumors just because of these announcements about the SEs being made available again.

In my opinion it's the best iPhone Apple ever made, as it still has the now elusive headphone jack and TouchID. Here's hoping they do another release/sale!!

8. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

No iPhone SE release over the weekend and more.

9. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

"The product you’re looking for is currently unavailable. Please try again later."

This is the message at the Apple site today when I clicked on the link in the first paragraph of this article - a change from the usual one.

With this kind of demand, shouldn't Apple be replenishing stock from India - same price there.

10. lipmonger macrumors newbie

lipmonger

I use this link... I have it bookmarked on my phone and desktop PC, and refresh it about 753 times a day.

11. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Thank you.

12. lipmonger macrumors newbie

lipmonger

Uh....

Even though it is listed as "out of stock," has anyone else noticed that the iPhone SE page now shows "promo" pricing of $150??

I haven't see this before. Anyone know what this is about?

iphoneSE.jpg
    --- Post Merged, Feb 6, 2019 ---
    And the 32GB model is listed at a $100 "promo" price.

I can't make heads or tails of this. I'm assuming it is an error.

13. Wandering Wastrel macrumors member

Wandering Wastrel

No, the promo is minus $150 off the usual $449.00 price. That's a minus sign in front of the $150, not a dash.

14. lipmonger macrumors newbie

lipmonger

Ahhhhhh! Makes sense.

Now I feel like an idiot.

:oops:

15. Wandering Wastrel macrumors member

Wandering Wastrel

Nah, it's Apple's fault. Since there's a dash between "Special Offer" and "Promo", it sure looks like that minus is a dash as well. A simple ":" after the "Promo" would have made it much more clear.

16. ahealy macrumors newbie

Curious, is there any indication OR pattern as to when the SE will be back on clearance (if at all)?

17. lipmonger macrumors newbie

lipmonger

Not that I know of... you just gotta hit refresh on the SE product page a few hundred times a day and hope you get lucky. It seems that once the headlines hit here at MacRumors, or Twitter, or wherever, that a new batch is available, they're already sold out. :(

18. wpalomine macrumors member

Mine shipped with iOS 11.4.1 , manufactured late July 2018. Only had 20% battery when I turned it on.

19. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502

MoreRumors?

How did you find out when yours was manufactured?

20. lipmonger macrumors newbie

lipmonger

21. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502

MoreRumors?

22. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Thanks. Mine also shipped with 11.4.1 and was manufactured in August.

It also had this line:

"Factory: FD (Foxcon, Refurbished? (in the USA??))"

Is it possible these are not new iPhones, but instead refurbished stock?

23. lipmonger macrumors newbie

lipmonger

Selling refurbished stock as new is straight up fraud, and highly illegal. I doubt Apple would do that. Better guess is these are new stock intended for the Indian market, and maybe just not yet in the database.

24. Idefix macrumors 6502a

mine also came with 11.4.1 and updated quite readily to the latest iOS. It also synced with iTunes 12.6.5 which is the last version that allows this. I'm running Sierra.

coconutBattery tells you the manufacture date (2018-08-27) with a battery cycle count of 1.

Came in a new white box, definitely not refurbished.

I found out about the first clearance offering from MacRumors and went directly there. Was in process of buying one when it vanished in front of my eyes.

Went to the second clearance but there were only 32 GB left, not interested.

Which meant that I really reacted quickly for a 128 GB the third time around.

I'm thinking there will be more clearance.

25. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Gotcha. I've seen the Indian market theory bandied about, but these all have FCC certification on them, so they wouldn't be destined for the Indian market. Also, they're being shipped from random locations all over the US, which suggest pulled inventory that Apple is only just now liquidating for some reason.

I'm not sure how that serial number web tool works, so maybe that last line is guessing based on parameters it doesn't have fully decoded?

I have to say, I'm impressed by how long the battery on this thing lasts. I would have thought a 2nd Gen 128GB would have had worse battery life over my 1st gen 64GB model which just had the battery replaced in December. But it's outlasting it. I wonder what other changes they made to the 2nd Gen SEs that they didn't document?