iPhone SE Makes Third Appearance on Apple's Clearance Store at $249—Act Fast

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Idefix macrumors 6502a

the big mystery for me is how an iPhone SE manufactured barely 6 months ago is already on clearance.

Does this mean the SE is end-of-life? Or does it mean that the rumors of a new SE model are true--and Apple is trying to liquidate the previous model?

Or do you think that Apple is mending its ways and is selling an iPhone with a realistic price? (as if...)

2. KPandian1, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

KPandian1 macrumors 65816

For #1 - yes, I think they are clearing stock. Not much need for them to be replacement units for current owners - these iPhones are hardy. Try liquidating them after the next SE-form are announced.

For #2 - Apple will NEVER mend its ways and sell anything for a realistic price. Neither will Bugatti or Rolls-Royce!

The days of iPod nano and iPod Shuffle are about decade behind us.

3. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

If you keep them on the iOS 11.4.1 they shipped with, the battery life on an SE is incredible! iOS 12 increases the “speed” but at the result of a ton of battery.

4. lipmonger, Feb 6, 2019

lipmonger macrumors newbie

lipmonger

Normally I'd say this makes sense... but people are getting phones with July and August 2018 manufacture dates. That means Apple was making these phones even when they new very well they would be killing it off in a month or so.

If that's the case, why was Apple manufacturing and stockpiling new SE devices just weeks before EOL-ing it?? And more importantly... why bring it back 5 months after said EOL?

5. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Yes, confusing - why are they manufactured outside of India still!:confused: The cycle from draft to product, or re-starting an existing production that was dormant is very small, 1 months or less for a legacy product. Maybe the dies were already made and stockpiled. Only speculating.

If the next iPhone SE is on the way, the $300 price is more than total turnkey price for this "old" model.

6. PickUrPoison macrumors 68030

Well we know Apple doesn’t typically stockpile. And as you mentioned, they definitely knew they were going to stop selling the SE in many/most countries. (I think it’s still available through some carriers in some countries; prepaids in the US used to carry it but I’m not sure if they still do.)

But I think the clue is in the heavy discounting. Apple rarely discounts, and certainly not in the 30%+ neighborhood. So my speculation is that they’re just clearing out the last remnants from the channel (mostly Apple stores?) that weren’t really moving at $349/449. With the 6S selling for $449, I think that pretty much cratered sales of the 128GB SE. Instead of having them hang around as dead stock, they just blew ‘em out.

I don’t think it means an SE2 is imminent, but I could very well be wrong. But I think Apple would have kept them in the lineup and continued selling them, not pull them last September, if they intended to refresh it.

It’s not a cannibalization issue; no one who’s in the market for an XR/XS/XS Max is going to be interested in an SE. The SE has its fans, whether for price or size (or both) but those buyers aren’t cross-shopping large, expensive phones.

I know this theory won’t be popular with those who like the SE, but FYI I’m one of you :) I’ve bought two SEs as AT&T prepaid and then activated them on my postpaid family plan. They’re great for kids and (so far) indestructible in an Otterbox.

7. Mac 128, Feb 6, 2019

Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

I am commenting on the battery life of two SEs both running 12.1.3. The new 128GB holds its charge better than my 64GB with a brand new battery. There was no noticible decrease in battery life when I upgraded my 64GB to iOS 12, but I did notice a considerable battery increase after I had the battery replaced after 2.75 years. Both now last about as long as my 64GB did from day one, almost 3 years ago.

Apple didn’t EOL the SE, it’s still widely available new as a pre-paid device through major carriers.

One theory is that Apple didn’t know they we’re going to stop selling it directly in September, but only made the decision late in the game. My theory at the time was that Apple dropped the phone from its stores to maximize profits on their new phones over the holidays, a decision they could have made shortly before release — especially if they knew they were going to update the SE in March. Given that Apple needed floor space for 3 new models, one of which had 6 color variations, they basically needed to pull the SE from the floor anyway, whether profit motivated or not — but it certainly didn’t hurt to remove it from consideration for those who would have gravitated to a smaller phone had it been there.

The fact that the phone has suddenly resurfaced in Clearance seems to support that theory. Apple doesn’t warehouse product, so it would seem they pulled it from shelves, shipped to the local warehouses and there they sat until Apple decided what to do with them. 3 months later, after the holiday sales, Apple decided to liquidate the remaining stock before a potential new launch when their value would plummet. Maybe that was the plan all along, or maybe they formulated it after they unexpectedly decided to pull it.

The fact we haven’t seen any 6 or 6s phones on direct clearance suggests they planned to drop it all along and replace it with the higher profit 7 (or maybe we’ll see those go on clearance next). But the SE very well may have been a last minute decision.

We have a month or two to wait and find out if there’s going to be a new SE. I’m going to wait until the end of March before I decide to add AppleCare+. If a new SE is released, I’ll buy that instead. If not, then I’m set either way.

If there’s no new SE, then we know Apple likely made a last minute decision, and then liquidated stock to clear it out of their warehouses after the holiday sales were over, and put the SE behind them forever, at least in the US — I’m still not sure it’s not being manufactured for some developing markets, and may be for some time as the 4s and 5c were after being dropped in the US, especially considering the SE is a much more capable phone.

8. firewood macrumors 604

I think these were stockpiled units. My clearance SE came with a battery level showing only around 25%. Usually new iPhones come with a lot higher battery level fresh out of the box.

9. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Likewise. It’s clear they’re stockpiled units, but the question is why? Apple doesn’t do that.

10. Idefix macrumors 6502a

I doubt we'll ever know how this clearance came about, but it's clear there's something really wonky here.

I thought Apple took "overstock" overseas to liquidate so as to avoid messing up their home market?

11. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

I don't think they can without repacking it for the market it's going into, and as I pointed out earlier, these phones have FCC approval on them, which has no bearing in markets outside the US, not to mention being without the necessary notices for the market in which they are being sold. Also, the models being sold in the US I believe were missing a certain radio band common in foreign markets. So the cost of changing the rear case info, and repackaging them likely made that prohibitive -- plus the fact they were already taxed and distributed within this country, requiring additional expense to ship elsewhere and pay import taxes on them again.

12. cinealta, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  13. Mac 128, Feb 7, 2019

Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Here's an interesting Link from eBay, selling all four models of the SE, claiming to be new in original packaging. It looks like a modest $36 markup, but still with free shipping, so not a lot of profit, which is what I suspected might have been happening with the SE selling out so quickly -- that they were being snapped up by third party re-sellers -- but not if they're not making a profit. Am I missing something here?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPho...nlocked-Brand-New/163500170080?epid=235058101

14. lipmonger, Feb 7, 2019

lipmonger

With 9.4% tax (to my Denver zip code at least) from the Apple store, it's only $7.00 more than if I bought it from Apple.com. How are they making any money?

Anyway - thanks for the link. I just ordered one!

15. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Right? And Apple charged me $9 shipping as well.

I just hope they are actually new. Aren't the refurbished ones sold in new packaging as well? How would a third-party know if they weren't party to the original sales details? Are refurb products branded as such on the box?

16. lipmonger macrumors newbie

lipmonger

I don't think Apple has ever sold refurb units in new boxes...

apple-refurb.jpg

17. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

How are they including a lightning to analogue connector?

Sorry Sprint.

Apple must be making a profit, even with the circumstances - the seller makes nearly nothing in this deal. Apple looks to have unloaded a big inventory before this bonanza came around.

I want to see the first MacRumors member's purchase experience. Too many burns from eBay.

This seller has the newer models (X, XS) too - so, can AppleCare be added?

18. lipmonger, Feb 7, 2019

lipmonger

My eBay unit should arrive on Tuesday. I'll post up pics, a brief summary, and a report on the serial # when I get it.

!iphonese.JPG

19. Idefix macrumors 6502a

Please also report the battery load cycles!

What are the odds that Apple took all of their clearance stock and liquidated them to this eBay seller?

This is looking more and more wonky.

20. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Or, there is some underground/elite auction that Apple is a part of, invisible to us commoners!:p

21. lipmonger macrumors newbie

lipmonger

Where do I find the battery load cycles?

22. redfirebird08 macrumors 6502

redfirebird08

Coconut Battery app on MacOS will show you this kind of information.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2019 ---
    Very strange, I tried to buy one and it attempted to charge my card twice. Chase blocked it as a result. Trying to figure out what happened.

23. Idefix macrumors 6502a

Those iPhones on eBay are brand new, the webpage says you can take them in to any Apple Store and buy Applecare, if you want.

The price on the webpage indicates that they have to have been bought at a great discount, for the merchant to have any profit. And the merchant has a 30-day return policy. Imagine an ebay merchant being more generous than Apple?

IOW, Apple has been reading MacRumors and decided that the speculation here and elsewhere about the brand new SE on clearance just wasn't good publicity. So they off-load them all to ebay.

24. redfirebird08 macrumors 6502

redfirebird08

Tried to use a different credit card from a different bank and that payment didn't go through on eBay either. Then came back with a 3rd credit card through PayPal and it attempted to double charge me once again. Feels like a scam.

25. lipmonger macrumors newbie

lipmonger

The first time I tried to buy I attempted to use my debit card via PayPal (I never use eBay’s built in payment processor, and always use PayPal for the security/protection they offer) and the purchase was declined by my bank.

I switched to my Chase Visa and the order went through immediately. Five minutes later I got a call from my bank’s fraud department... they said they’ve added this merchant to their blocked list due to problems with fraud. Interesting.

I’m fairly certain I’ll get my phone. Whether or not it’s stolen or “fell off the truck” may be another issue entirely. I’ll follow up once I get it regeistered with a SIM card to make sure all is honky dory.