Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new photo has surfaced on Chinese microblogging service Weibo that appears to confirm the "iPhone SE" name and that it will feature 16GB base storage. The alleged packaging also indicates the new 4-inch iPhone will have NFC, lending credence to multiple rumors claiming the device will support Apple Pay.

iphonese6-800x410.jpg
MacRumors rendering of possible iPhone SE design based on rumors

The packaging, which could feasibly be photoshopped, also lists a Lightning to USB cable and EarPods in the box, meaning that the device will likely retain a 3.5mm headphone jack as expected. The iPhone SE should also unsurprisingly support LTE on both CDMA and GSM networks around the world.

iPhone-SE-packaging-photo.jpg
Alleged photo of iPhone SE packaging (Source: Weibo via iPhone-Ticker)

Multiple sources have claimed the iPhone SE will feature 16GB and 64GB storage options. Our recent Twitter poll (for the iPhone 7) shows that only 2 percent of over 9,000 voters, or roughly 180 people, would prefer a 16GB model, while 45 percent said they would opt for 64GB. 36 percent of voters want at least 128GB storage.
What would be your preferred iPhone 7 storage size? Rumors hint at a new 256GB model -> https://t.co/EgITmY1uC9 - MacRumors.com (@MacRumors) March 16, 2016
Apple is expected to announce the iPhone SE at its "Let Us Loop You In" media event commencing on Monday, March 21 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific. The smartphone's design will likely resemble the iPhone 5s, and other features could include A9 and M9 chips, a 12-megapixel rear camera, a slightly larger battery compared to iPhone 5s, VoLTE calling, Bluetooth 4.2, and Live Photos, but no 3D Touch.

iPhone SE could cost between $400 and $500 U.S. without carrier subsidies or financing.

(Thanks, Burak!)

Article Link: Potential 'iPhone SE' Packaging Confirms 16GB Base Storage and NFC for Apple Pay

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
I actually like the iPad Pro options, 32, 128 and 128+LTE. Maybe toss in a 256 option but it's fine as it is. Apple certainly needs to clean up their product line up, ipad Mini 2, iPad Mini 4, ipad Air, Ipad Air2, Ipad pro all with and without LTE/3G and various memory sizes. Geez. Looking back at the times where we had only had 1 model.

gppittjk

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
It was pretty obvious they were going to go with 16 as the base.

What I'm pissed about is someone got a hold of the retail packaging and didn't bother to take a picture of the FRONT so we could confirm what the device will look like.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
I can see why the SE has a 16GB model but they better bump up the 7 to at least 32.

What's funny is the 128 which I have is too much storage for my needs but 32 is too little. So if they do this deliberately-odd-storage-for-upsell nonsense on the 7 that'll be frustrating. They should sell the 7 in 64 GB or 128 GB.

If they choose to sell at 256 GB iPhone they're welcome to.

Last edited:
Reactions: iOSFangirl6001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.