iPhone sending unsolicited messages

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by himji, Apr 23, 2013.

1. himji macrumors newbie

A really weird thing started yesterday.

I had a couple of text messages waiting to be read, went to read them and found a message that my phone had sent by imessage in there. I had imessaged this recipient the past but have had no contact for a few months. I see this message looks like it's been sent by me but I definitely have not sent it. The message is suggesting that I don't know who this other person is. Difficult to explain basically I see

Imessage by me from two months ago (that was never replied to)
    Imessage from me saying "who are you" (but quite a long message, definitely written by a human looking at it)

Then I have the same thing happen with another imessage recipient (this one's a recent contact one). This second one was sent at 1:20 am while I was sleeping and my phone was on airplane mode! I wake up to a response from the person, again a who are you message...? The message sequence here looks like

My Imessage
    Their Imessage
    My Imessage sent at 1:20 am while my phone was not transmitting
    Their Imessage reply sent at a decent hour

Knowing that imessage works by pairing an email address with a device, I've considered my other I devices;
    Ipad and Ipod are unlikely as everybody else in the house was in bed at 1:20
    Ipod and iphone at my exe's, I called her and she was sleeping at that time.

Any idea where I should look next?
    Iphone 4s on the latest ios

Thanks

2. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Have you swapped SIM cards recently? That often does weird things to iMessage, there was a big *****torm about it recently because if you put in a SIM, activate iMessage, then remove the SIM, the iPhone stays registered to that number for iMessage purposes.

3. himji thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for the reply.
    In short no, not had anything done to or with the phone for a long time now.
    I do know what you mean tho, I went through a bit of hassle when I upgraded my phone from the 4 to the 4s and not being able to use facetime because it was registered to the old phone

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Best bet would be to change your iCloud account password, as soon as the current outage is cleared. That way whoever has access to iMessage will not once the password is changed.

Also, consider turning on two-factor authentication.

5. himji thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. iCloud account, do you mean my app store account password?

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That depends. Is your app store account username tied to your iMessages?

Go into Settings and tap iCloud. At the top line there should be an account e-mail address there. Is it the same as your app store address?

7. bdrake47 macrumors regular

Might want to see if not leaving iphone elsewhere may resolve this... just saying.

8. himji thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes indeed it is. What if I changed that email to another one? Does that mean my iTunes account (which is used on other devices) is then separate to my imessage and facetime?

----------

:D
    Thanks I'll try to remember to do that

9. nancyfromafrica macrumors member

This could very well be a security issue you should change your password.