iPhone Shoppers Nearly Arrested

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheBama, Sep 21, 2012.

1. TheBama macrumors 6502

TheBama

I told you guys the Summit Store mall cops were crazy...

Customers waiting to purchase the iPhone 5 on Friday morning at The Summit were told by security personnel to leave the premises, causing a conflict between the two groups.

At the time, around 80 people had lined up in front of the Apple Store in anticipation of buying the hot new device. Many had been in line since around 3 a.m. and still had to wait until 8 a.m. for the Apple Store to open. A little after 5 a.m., security personnel approached the line and told the customers that they are not allowed on The Summit property until 6 a.m.

Three security guards and three uniformed Birmingham police officers were at the scene. Some in line say they heard the officials threatening to arrest everyone. Many of the customers told FOX6 News that the security personnel backed off from the order after our cameras arrived.

Apple Store employees at the scene would not comment on the incident.

Source: http://www.myfoxal.com/story/19603415/apple-fans-wait-in-line-for-new-iphone

2. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Only in Alabama . I am never going to that mall ever again

3. Doombringer macrumors regular

No, the mall cops weren't crazy... they were doing their job.

The people lining up are the oddballs. You have to verify it is OK to line up after-hours on patrolled property, or this exact problem can occur.

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Again, stupid people.

If the mall did not want anyone there, that is fine. Their property, their rules.

But, they should have told people at 3am when they came to move along. To wait until 6am is just stupid. Almost stupid enough to charge the guards with inciting a riot.

What happened to common sense in this country?

5. erzeszut macrumors regular

Wow!!

I drove through that side of the parking lot around 5AM. I could see a big group of people milling around in the parking lot, and a couple of security guards talking to them. I assumed that the guards were telling them they had to stay in the parking lot, and couldn't line up until 6. That's how it's worked in the past.

But threatening to arrest them if they don't leave the premises? That's crazy!!

Meanwhile, I drove to the other side of the complex, to the Verizon store. There was one other guy sitting in his car at 5AM. No one else (except VZW employees) showed up until about 6:30. A security guard came by once when there were about ~10 of us, and just chatted with us and the Verizon employees. At 8AM, there were no more than 25 people there, very loosely organized, not really even a line -- informally, we all knew who was first, second, etc.

I was done and walking out with my white 64GB at 8:15AM. Drove by the Apple Store just to see, and the line was extending all the way down the sidewalk, wrapping around the Belk store.

6. Nathan576 macrumors member