Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england
i am fed up with pulling the connector from my iPhone with fears that it could damage it. with magsafe its is just like that with an original connector, but probably won't damage the iphone's connector jack. plus, it could also have a little charging light on the magsafe just like that of those with the mac notebooks :D who else thinks the same?

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
magsafe is meant to break away. i don't want a charging cord that easily breaks away on my phone.

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
No, solely based on in-car reasons...the connector would always be coming out when you pick up the device to change songs etc...its a novel idea but for ipods and iphones its just not something that would work well unless there was a locking mechanism like on the older ipod cables and most of the 12v in car cables

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england
im talking about a stronger magnet than that of the mac notebooks, which won't break away easily but wont damage the iphone if yanked out....

ECUSnare

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2011
im talking about a stronger magnet than that of the mac notebooks, which won't break away easily but wont damage the iphone if yanked out....

Count me as one who would like to see some variant of the MagSafe on an iPhone. I'm tired of dealing with damaged cords and the break away design would work wonders for me.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

Ok, let's say we get this. Can you explain why it would be better than the current system? I'd likely be all for it if there is some logical reasoning. Right now I can only think of negatives, namely MUCH more expensive charging cables.

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england
Magnet would probably interfere with the compass/gps on the iPhone.

if the magnet was iron, and not other material. mac notebooks have magsafe chargers, and yet they have no problem with a compass app from the mac app store. if the magsafe was designed the same way for the iphone as with macs, then there should be no interference.

----------

Ok, let's say we get this. Can you explain why it would be better than the current system? I'd likely be all for it if there is some logical reasoning. Right now I can only think of negatives, namely MUCH more expensive charging cables.

how would it be much more expensive?
in relation to your question:

1. it would be less damaging to the iphone's dock connector jack over time.

2. the new macbook airs/pros adopt a similar charging design to that of the current one for the iPhone, which just screams for magsafe for the iphone, also reducing production costs.

3. could overall be thinner and smaller, allowing apple to make a thinner iPhone.

4. maybe in the near future reduce production costs, because then apple could make the same charger for iPhone/pad/pod and mac with the same design and materials in mind.

i only have four right now, but are they logical enough for magsafe? :confused:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The dock connector has additional function besides charging (data transfer), a function not presently part of the magsafe design on Mac laptops.

Here's another suggestion---quite yanking on you're charging cables. :rolleyes:

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england
The dock connector has additional function besides charging (data transfer), a function not presently part of the magsafe design on Mac laptops.

Here's another suggestion---quite yanking on you're charging cables. :rolleyes:

i don't yank on my cables i usually see wear and tear on the jack from where i keeping putting it in and taking it out...

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands

Because the cables would have to be fitted with 19 spring loaded pins for starters. We're not talking just three pins for power here. Apple's charging 20 bucks for a cable that costs 30-40 cents to produce. Can you imagine what they'd charge for a cable costing two dollars to make?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all with you. I want a magsafe connector in my next phone, but it's undeniably more expensive. And as someone mentioned and I noticed myself, the magnetometer and apps that use it don't respond well to magnets in the direct vicinity of the phone. It's not going to happen.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Personally I think they should not do mag safe. It takes up a lot of extra room. Now I support apple building in inductive charging in their phones and it would give you everything you want and then some more.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Personally I think they should not do mag safe. It takes up a lot of extra room. Now I support apple building in inductive charging in their phones and it would give you everything you want and then some more.

I like the idea of an inductive charger as well.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
The magsafe connection with my laptop is rather strong. If it's that strong on the iPhone, I think it might be essentially useless as the phone may not disembark. But if it's not strong enough, then it'll have a lot of issues, as already mentioned.

I don't think it's a bad idea, but due to the weight of the phone (being so light), if you pull the cable hard, the phone will still likely to fall off the table.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
The magsafe connection with my laptop is rather strong. If it's that strong on the iPhone, I think it might be essentially useless as the phone may not disembark. But if it's not strong enough, then it'll have a lot of issues, as already mentioned.

I don't think it's a bad idea, but due to the weight of the phone (being so light), if you pull the cable hard, the phone will still likely to fall off the table.

I agree wholeheartedly

I think the primary issues are:

1. The weight of the iPhone makes it relatively useless
2. The fact that it is more than a charging cable (unlike MBP, etc) is also a factor
3. Cost

This is enough in my mind to make such a move unwarranted

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england

now who would pull the cord that hard, eh? :rolleyes: just proves that the magsafe would be strong :D

as for people saying the issues with other uses of the magsafe, like data transfer, the magsafe will technically be the same as the non-magsafe we have now before it, just with magnetic to keep the cable and the iPhone together.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
now who would pull the cord that hard, eh? :rolleyes: just proves that the magsafe would be strong :D

One of the primary purposes of the magsafe is to break away rather than pull the computer
That feature is rendered useless on the phone, or else the magsafe would not be strong enough to stay connected anyway

It isn't the deliberate pulling to disengage that is the issue
It is the accidental pull

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england
One of the primary purposes of the magsafe is to break away rather than pull the computer
That feature is rendered useless on the phone, or else the magsafe would not be strong enough to stay connected anyway

It isn't the deliberate pulling to disengage that is the issue
It is the accidental pull

same with our current connector, if that is deliberately pulled, then the iPhone will also fall off the table. same issue. the whole point for magsafe to come to iPhone is the reduced wear and tear of the jack inside the iPhone, with possibilities of thinner design as well, but still keeping strength in mind but won't break away as easily as the mac magsafe, but can still be disconnected bit a bit of force, that's all.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
same with our current connector, if that is deliberately pulled, then the iPhone will also fall off the table. same issue. the whole point for magsafe to come to iPhone is the reduced wear and tear of the jack inside the iPhone, with possibilities of thinner design as well.

Yes, it is no improvement in that regard, hence my point

I don't see the magsafe being thinner, but you never know

As far as wear and tear, I haven't experienced wear on the jack itself
However, I have had cords split or crack
Not sure a magsafe would have much of an impact on that or not

----------

as for people saying the issues with other uses of the magsafe, like data transfer, the magsafe will technically be the same as the non-magsafe we have now before it, just with magnetic to keep the cable and the iPhone together.

Not convinced it would be that simple to implement

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

Such as when you trip on it, or something. Even if you don't pull it down directly, catching it in your foot (even to the slightest amount) will bring it down.

same with our current connector, if that is deliberately pulled, then the iPhone will also fall off the table. same issue.

Yes. That's why the Magsafe is essentially useless.

The point of the magsafe is to automatically release. Due to the current design, that doesn't happen. If they just made the tip magnetic, it'll only hold the phone with more resistance.

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Just my two cents on the dock. So far in my house my ip4 I bought when they first were released has withstood tons of abuse at the hands of kids and dogs. The cord is the common thing to get caught on a leg, hand, and paw then it is jerked along with them. Rarely does the cord break free so the phone gets to go with them for a second. So far the jack works flawless every time after incidents like this happening every few days.

My complaint is the jack can gather dirt etc with no great way of keeping it clean. I like the MagSafe idea but for the reasons you have mentioned I do not see it as a need. To me it just sounds like possibly a cool feature for home charging but then in mobile situations you would still have a different type of MagSafe that locks onto the phone. Current MagSafe would still send my phone flying off the counter or whatever because it is too strong for an item as light as the iPhone.

And yes I have had to replace cords but they are so cheap it's almost a non issue.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
mac notebooks have magsafe chargers, and yet they have no problem with a compass app from the mac app store.

I don't see any compass apps on the mac app store. That's probably because mac notebooks don't have a built in compass. They DO have proximity/shock sensors to protect the hard drives from shock, and those can be used for neat things and aren't affected much by magnets, but they aren't compasses.

The problem remains: a magnet in close proximity to the phone would interfere with the built in magnetic compass, something mac notebooks do not have. And even if they did, even the smallest macbook air is significantly larger than an iPhone, and there would be far less real estate to put any distance between the magsafe connector and the compass than there is on a laptop.

Speaking of size: smartphones are much smaller and have far less mass than a laptop, meaning that in order for magsafe to be effective, the magnet would have to be really, really weak... probably so much so that it would be disconnecting a lot when there's no reason to. A magsafe connector as strong as the ones on the MacBooks could easily stay attached to an unweighted iPhone, rendering the "safe" in "magsafe" worse than useless.

MagSafe might just barely make sense for an iPad. But if it gets any lighter or smaller (iPad Mini?) then it'll be the same problem as with an iPhone: too little weight, the magnet would have to be really weak.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
in relation to your question:

1. it would be less damaging to the iphone's dock connector jack over time.

2. the new macbook airs/pros adopt a similar charging design to that of the current one for the iPhone, which just screams for magsafe for the iphone, also reducing production costs.

3. could overall be thinner and smaller, allowing apple to make a thinner iPhone.

4. maybe in the near future reduce production costs, because then apple could make the same charger for iPhone/pad/pod and mac with the same design and materials in mind.

i only have four right now, but are they logical enough for magsafe? :confused:

Adding a magnet where there currently isn't one is going to increase production costs. They have used the same cable for over a decade. The production costs have basically been mastered over that time.

I don't think we will see the same charger for the iPhone and Mac. FWIW, they have had Mac magsafes for years too. They retail at $100. Pretty spendy for a single charger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.