iphone shows up as different name in windows explorer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amazingdm, Nov 2, 2011.

1. amazingdm macrumors 6502

So I sync both mine and my mom's iphone on the same itunes and same computer. Well my iphone is named (myname)'s iPhone and my mom's is (momsname) iphone.

In itunes my iphone shows up as (myname)'s iphone but in windows explorer it shows up as (momsname)'s iphone. Even though I just got a replacement iphone and restored it from backup..

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

3. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

5. NVD macrumors member

I have been getting this too. Annoying.
    Just been ignoring it, though, as it has the correct name in iTunes.

6. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

I

Exactly. Do you sync to two iPhones?

7. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

8. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Same thing has been happening to me (win7 64bit). My phone shows up as my girlfriends name. Not sure why. Oddly when I plug my old 3g into the same PC it's named correctly so probably an iOS5 issue. I'd wait until they realease 5.01 and see if that fixes it...

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

10. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

as?

11. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Doesn't make a difference.

12. PNutts, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Also Windows 7 x64 here. I don't have the issue with an iOS5 iPod and my iPhone so I'll plug in the wifey's phone tomorrow and see what happens (both iPhone 4 with iOS 5).

I have a synchronization app that looks at drive characteristics in case the external drive is mapped to a different letter, but I haven't heard of Explorer caching or using that type of logic.

My phone shows up categorized as a Portable Device and labeled a Digital Camera.

Edit: Did a quick google and lots of reports of this with no good solution.

13. nschmitz06 macrumors newbie

***fix***

Type regedit into your search bar and open registry editor. Go to the the very top and select edit and find. Type in the whole name that is wrong aka "nick's iPhone" and hit find. After it searches your registry and finds the key double click it and edit the name. There are multiple keys with this same name so use F3 to find each progressive entry in the registry and until you have replaced every name. After this is done, you should close regedit and unplug then plug your iPhone back in. Enjoy--

14. GeekGrrrl macrumors newbie

Awesome Solution to Issue

Thank you for the fix. It works.

15. Dheald macrumors member

Is it causing syncing issues? Or any other issues related to your iDevice and computer?

16. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Nope, no issues with any of that and it shows the right name in iTunes. I don't even use iTunes hardly anymore with iCloud and iTunes match.

17. carmat71 macrumors newbie

By any chance, is it coming up as "Sarah's iPhone"??

I am having the same problem. A friend of mine (not named Sarah) was connecting her iPhone 4S (I think) to my Windows PC when I first noticed it, thinking she may have gotten a 2nd hand iPhone and simply hadn't changed the name. However, when I got an brand new iPhone 4 a couple of weeks after, it came up as the same thing.

My name is not Sarah, in fact I am male. I had changed the name of the iPhone in iTunes to my actual name and it seems fine there.

I have changed the name in the Settings of the iPhone (or checked that it came up as it was changed in iTunes), and tried to change it in Windows Explorer. I can't even edit the name when I open up the properties window.

It's not a critical problem, obviously, but any way I can fix it, or at the very least, explain to anyone else who happens to see it exactly why it is coming up like this?

Cheers