iPhone signal goes from 3G to the wifi icon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pinkstiletto66, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

I went to apple today for a ******** of problems. It's kind if too early for all the drama. I didn't have the phone for a week. Moving on so my iPhones issue was this morning the wifi signal would occasionally go to 3G usually from sleep mode to active. The other issue was my Facebook app was spazing. Thought it was just a fb thing but then boxcar had issues as well. So the guy at the genius bar restored my phone ad new. I really don't understand how that work because when I went to safari a brick load of previous websites that I accessed on my comp was in my phones history. Mind you I never went to these websites on my phone. So I had to do the usual enter all of my passwords and user name. The usual. The guy too me that it sounded like an issue with the phone and everything should be fine after. So yea besides having to reenter user names and passwords the wifi/3G thing is still happening. Still not getting any sounds when a fb notification comes in. What should I do. I'm really startin to like my new device that I thought is love so much. Lol. Ugh. Please lens some useful advice. Tx in advance.

2. aquaquest macrumors newbie

3. darkside flow macrumors 6502

That sounds perfectly normal. Wifi goes to sleep and 3G kicks in when it's in sleep mode. Alternatively, 3G will switch to wifi if you are around a known wifi spot.

Surprisingly, after so much text, you haven't really told us what the problem is other than saying that the phone is "spazing."

4. Pinkstiletto66, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010

Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, I guess I got so tired of thinking about it. As well as talking and writing about it. So here goes
    Facebook app: I took a picture, uploaded it to fb. I saw the pic in news feed. When I go to look at that pic it doesn't show. Just a black screen. It's the 39th photo. On the bottom it says 38 out of 39. The pic is there when I go online from my computer. Another thing, when a person leaves a comment for a pic, and I go to see the comment through notifications it shows me a different picture. It has done this on all the pictures I upload through the phone. All the guy at the genius bar could say was " huh?" I would read a notification and it would still show that I have a new message.

Boxcar app: I use this because as you know when I get a new push notification it doesn't make a sound, and about sixty percent of the time I don't even get a push notification. So I was using boxcar today, and wanted to read a notification. It ended up showing me the notification from someone else.

Today I decided to go to Facebook via Safari. At one point it would not let me scroll down. So I then tried opening it in a new page, same problem. Other websites allowed me to scroll down.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I assume you are on the latest version of iOS? One of your issues sounds familiar to one I had. When I took a picture it showed as black in the Photo App until I restarted the phone. I discovered that a phone restart wasn't necessary, just closing the Phone App from the Recently Used Applications list. It hasn't happened to me in awhile so I assume it's fixed, however the Genius told me to restart the phone nightly (which I thought was too aggressive) so I often close all my Recently Used Apps which has helped in other ways (no more jittery Angry Birds). Try closing all your apps and see if the problem is still there.

6. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Right, this sounds perfectly normal.

7. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Another problem is when I go to fb via safari, go into an album, look at 1/2 albums, once I get out of the album, by using the back button, I am taken to the previous screen, however I can not slide. It's stuck. So I opened another page to try it again, and it does the same thing. It happens even if I shut off the phone. Is this normal. Can someone try this?

8. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Problem is still here.:mad: I honestly think all that he did to the phone is should be working fine. The guy at the genius bar said it was probably something wrong with the phones "firmware" well I believe thats the word the word he used. For a new phone this is pissing me off. I am about to call tech support and see what they say. Any additional help would be great. Tx

9. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just called tech support and theyre telling me its facebook through safari as well as the facebook app. His solution was to check for update.. Uhhh since when does safari update? What do you think?

10. slayer41 macrumors newbie

Facebook is weird to me sometimes too. I deal with it. Nothing is perfect. You're gonna have some issues with any app.

11. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not just the fb app. It acts up on safari too. That's my issue. So I'm just going to keep my eye on things. If not I'm done with it.

12. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

This is because facebook doesn't redirect to a new page, but instead changes within the "mobile browsing experience." You need to hit back inside the Facebook website, not the safari one.

The spazzing part is your phone's multitasking screwing up. It's using too much ram for certain apps and doesn't expect Facebook or other apps to use memory, thus crashing.

When you synced the phone with your computer, if you use safari, you also most likely clicked on sync safari bookmarks and history as well.

It seems all the problems are due to Facebook, which is most likely where all the problem comes from because their mobile site hasn't been updated to the "new" facebook while they moved their full site to a new layout. It isn't the phone and any phone will probably hit the same errors.

I'm not sure about Boxcar, but it seems like the app itself is having problems?

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

There's nothing wrong with your phone all your issues sound application based.

14. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay. I'm going to see If anyone else is having similar issues. I tried to respond earlier. I couldn't get a signal outside and inside. The finally I got an E were the 3G icon is. Whatever the heck E means. Lol

15. Zcott macrumors 68020

E means EDGE, which is slightly faster than the little circle (which is GPRS) but much slower than 3G.

16. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the breakdown. So yea I had my friend do the same thing on his phone and he can scroll. I'm not pleased. I can understand apps not working, that I understand. But safar on a particular site that no other iPhone 4 owner is having issues with?! 

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

So you checked one other person's phone and suddenly "no other iPhone 4 owner is having issues with [that site]?" You're incredibly mistaken. Facebook is one of the buggiest sites out there. It has hiccups all the time. Reset Safari and try again. Try reinstalling the applications that are giving you trouble too.

18. slayer41 macrumors newbie

QFT. Sometimes **** bugs up. It's crappy but you've gotta live with it.

19. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

The only point of buying this phone for me was for Facebook, even on my whimpy phone it works. I did the reset, still frozen. I'll just return the phone and be done with it. Thanks everyone.

20. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

That's probably the best option for you. FB is notorious for being buggy and being slow to update their app. If that's all you got the iP4 for and it's driving you nuts, you'd probably be happier with your previous phone.