IPhone Skype Calling To the USA for American visiting Europe?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pauly1, Sep 30, 2014.

1. pauly1 macrumors regular

Hey all. I know someone that got the iphone 6 by switching from tmobile to verizon for a 2 year contract for 199 dollars as oppose to paying 700 dollars for the iphone directly from tmobile.

They will be going out of the country for a vacation to Greece and would like to make phone calls back to New York. Apparently i read that verizon charges like $1.99 a minute for phone calls from greece to the usa? Does anyone know if a better option than this as the person will be making phone calls to the usa quite a bit during their vacation?

I know with tmobile its only 20 cents a minute but does anyone have any other options since the person has verizon? They will be calling to a landline. I heard about skype and they have a skype account but they only use it for chatting. I hear skype rates are very cheap but not familiar with how it works for calling landlines. Does that mean as long as they have a wifi connection, they could then log into skype then make phone calls from Greece to New York? If so, what are the rates because I'm a bit confused as it says its 1.7 cents a minute pay as you go. So that means thats how much it would cost only if they use the wifi then log into skype and call directly to New York? If so, that seems like a great idea.

Can someone who done this explain me how this works? Would they have to buy minimum $5 or $10 or whatever skype credit is in order to do this? Obviously if this works, its much better than paying $1.99 a minute. Also i assume the wifi has to be strong as well? The thing is if they had t mobile still, i know they would have free international data at 2g and text but the person told me they switched to verizon.

Thanks.

2. legioxi macrumors 6502a

They should pull the SIM out of the phone before going if they don't want to use Verizon in Greece as that will ensure they don't accidentally use data or voice while roaming in another country.

Skype would work. Would require WiFi or cellular data (expensive to roam in another country). The cost for Skype would be per minute and you might be right with 1.7c, it used to be 2c/min but it may have changed. The person would need to load some money on his or her Skype account. $5 or $10 would go a long way at 2c/min. Requiring WiFi would be a bit of a pain though.

Another option is to get a local SIM card. A lot of countries have low rate for cellular calls to land lines in the US. The Verizon phone is already unlocked for other SIM cards. Normally I can go to China and buy $50USD of credit on a local SIM and last 2 weeks with calls to the US + cellular data for maps and emails.

3. pauly1 thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone else?

So no matter what you take out the sim card.

But what about skype? Someone said they could buy a skype number and all incoming calls are free? But i read skype charges for each phone call connection. Is this true and is for calling or receiving?

4. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

If you are going to call the US, Google Voice would be a better choice - no charge. Skype will charge you unless it's computer to computer.

5. DetTigers macrumors regular

IPhone Skype Calling To the USA for American visiting Europe?

Use Facetime Audio when you're on Wi-Fi- it's free..and Facetime video as well.

6. pauly1 thread starter macrumors regular

Are you sure google voice would work from Greece to USA? I thought google voice only worked in usa and canada?

Also isn't it true you need a laptop to use google voice as an iphone won't work?

The thing is they will be calling a landline phone and not to another computer. Because if they would be calling to a computer, obviously skype would work just regularly with calling and not needing any credits.

7. pauly1 thread starter macrumors regular

8. pauly1 thread starter macrumors regular

9. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Another option. Use google hangouts. Free US and Canada calling to either cell or landlines.

10. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

You can use the Google Hangouts iPhone app to call the US (yes, landlines and cell phones) for free from anywhere. I have used this from Europe and Korea to call home before. Just get on Wifi and use the app.

11. erzhik macrumors 6502

Just get a $10 phone card online. It should last you more than a few hours. Call from Google Voice.

12. ttmrn macrumors regular

1. Ask them to register to Google Voice before they depart, if they havent done so.
    2. Install Google Hangout on the iPhone, login to their google account.
    3. Do a test local call with Hangout iPhone app before they leave for Greece. (free)

It will work globally everywhere with data connection (wifi, etc.)
    It will be free, provided the number is a local US number.

----------

Yes, Google Voice will work in Greece.

There is an iPhone app, it's called Google Hangout.
    You can use a laptop, but it's not the only option.

13. 617aircav Suspended

That can't call numbers not tied to an iPhone.

14. Streamlines macrumors newbie

I travel abroad frequently using a VZW iPhone. The best method for me is to turn off cellular data when I arrive at the country where I'll be staying. This eliminates potential roaming charges but it also makes the phone good for voice and text only, no data, no surfing etc. (which is generally fine for me). I do not remove the SIM card since I want to keep my U.S. based phone number active in case someone needs to reach me. Making cellular calls with the phone is very expensive but texting is not outrageous so I ask my family to text me if they need anything or to prompt me to call them using Skype.

I have the Skype app on the phone and on my MBA. I use Skype from the phone (or the MBA) by logging in to whatever WiFi service is available at the hotel. I usually pre-pay for Skype minutes. I pre-load my Skype account with about $10 which is plenty of minutes at 1.5 cents per minute. You also get calls to U.S. based toll free numbers for free (which helps a lot when you're stuck on hold with the airlines...).

15. pauly1 thread starter macrumors regular

i dl hangouts on my iphone4s and i made a phone call with it via wifi and it worked. However when i used landline to call my google voice number it doesnt work.

From reading online, it say you have to go on hangout on the iphone then click phone number then click confirm. My issue is here... the number i have to input, this is my google voice number they want me to input right? I then clicked next and they say it sent me an sms code and i need to type the 4 digit sms code. How am i suppose to confirm the code if i believe i can't receive sms on my account?

I like to mention im doing this all through wifi and have a google voice number. I dont have my own cell phone number at the moment with a carrier. Anyone can help me with this as how to receive sms and also after i do this, that mean i could receive calls with it as long as i had wifi? When i used google voice to call, i always done it through gmail and anyone that called me, it never worked. Also that was done with my laptop and it was just now i used hangouts on iphone and downloaded it that i knew i could make phone calls with it. So each time i made phone calls with my google voice number, i always went to gmail acct then clicked on the phone logo so it was like gmail chat?

16. ttmrn macrumors regular

not sure what u're actually asking,

--
    but did u configure ur google voice settings to direct the call appropriately?

[not sure if this helps, redirect it to ur google-chat, and make sure u enabled google hangout via voice.google.com]

17. pauly1 thread starter macrumors regular

I only used google voice on my laptop because it never worked while signing into gmail on my iphone. How do i know if my settings are configured correctly? Do i do it on laptop or on iphone?

How do i know if i enabled google hangout? Didn't i already do it by downloading hangouts on my iphone? But i have to do this in gmail as well on computer?

18. ttmrn macrumors regular

19. pauly1 thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone here can tell me how i do this? I was told to go to my gmail and see if there is a hangout logo right under my contacts in gmail but there isn't that.