iPhone Sprint Scam!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eNcrypTioN, Oct 16, 2012.

1. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

Bought my wife an iPhone 5 the other day and they refused to sell me the phone without buying Apple care. I spoke to the manager at the store and he said the same crap that the sales people were saying and still refused to sell me the phone without it. I threatened to report the manager to corporate at which point the manager decided he could now sell me the phone without Apple Care.

Just wanted to let everyone know the ******** Sprint tried to pull and not to fall for it!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Happens to many stores even with AT&T and Verizon etc...
    They know that the i5 is very hard to find and they pray on unsuspecting customers. They push them around saying you have to buy applecare or a case or extra accessories and charger in order to get it.
    Its completelly illegal to demand anything like that and you should report them to their superiors and even a local news channel would be nice to give consumers some power and exposure out there.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

That's not a scam..that's a manager trying to meet a quota. Report him to corporate and they'll probably give him a "sticking to his guns" certificate. All the carriers have stores that sometimes do it. AT&T did when I bought my iPhone 4.

4. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Yea, Sprint pulled the same thing with me in Texas. That is very suspect and Sprint Corporate should be made aware.

Damn Shiesters!

5. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

Never had that happen to me. And I've bought all my iPhones from the same AT&T corporate store. They always ask me if I wanted to purchase Applecare, but certainly did not reach the point where they did not want to sell me the iPhone without it.

YMMV

6. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I'd report the store to Sprint & Apple. Absurd.

7. AznTakumi macrumors regular

I bought my iPhone 5 at a RadioShack and it almost happened there. I just kept saying no and he eventually told me the phone. I was also doing a cross upgrade and he tried to charge me 25$ for a SIM card. I said no and just upgraded normally then went a AT&T cooperate store and they changed sims no problem.

8. Legacy Wealth macrumors member

RadioShack especially The do it because they make money... a friend of mine used to work to RadioShack and it was mandatory for him to sell accessories and AppleCare with an iPhone.. They tell their sales people to not sell it but they of course cannot force you to they just say it thinking that the customer will give in and it makes them look good but of course you don't have to

9. richmds macrumors regular

As others have pointed out if you tell corporate they will probably not do much as its an off the record type sales tactic to bring more profits.

As long as it brings the company the sales guys are not doing anything wrong. Now if they were pocketing money for themselves then corporate would do something since corporate is now losing money.

10. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

I'm not so sure. Sprint is already hurting and the last thing they need is bad press. Remember, people like to do business with people they know and trust. If word got out that Sprint is nothing more than shiesters, this could affect future sales and profits.

11. ldominguez1986 macrumors member

It's not a Sprint thing. I would not call it a "Sprint scam" I baught my iPhone 5 day one and was not told I had to purchase anything else. That's just so guy trying to make extra money because he knows that people really will do about anything to buy the iPhone 5.

12. willmtaylor, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

At least you can buy AC+ through Sprint! It's not even an option with VZW or AT&T. :cool:

13. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

If we walked into a Sprint store and a Sprint Employee tried this tactic at two different locations across the United States, I would say that is a Sprint issue. Sprint should address it regardless.

14. richmds macrumors regular

That would follow normal logic, the marketplace is anything but.

I see Sprint in desperation mode, they will try to snatch any dollar they can, they are literally falling apart as you noted.

Look at ATT used to be worst service and people hated them, but they were the only iPhone player. Verizon got iPhone and people were so happy that they could now switch, but after a couple years ATT is still the leading seller of iPhones despite how much people hating the dropped calls, terrible CS, and constantly changing of data plans with ATT.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Guess what? The verizon CS is just as bad or worst. Also the constant changing of data plans is both on verizon and AT&T and verizon plans are more expensive than any carrier in the US.
    The grass is not always greener...

16. wookiee2cu macrumors member

If it's happening at so many Sprint stores my guess is Corporate told them to do it and if someone complains they will act dumb and say they'll look into it.

17. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

i don't mind paying an extra $5 or $10 a month as long as I get a reliable signal and can fulfill basic needs easily.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I never had a problem with AT&T in my area for over 14 years now.
    Solid signal, no dropped cals, very fast data speeds etc...

19. kalexn macrumors 6502

This isn't just a Sprint thing but happens at all the stores and not all Sprint stores. I purchased mine at a Sprint store and it was an option if I wanted it, not a requirement.

20. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Umm wrong.

21. willmtaylor, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Thank you so very much for that astoundingy astute reply. You've really added to the forums and enlightened us all with your mere presence.

How am I wrong, again?

22. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

You stated "At least you can buy AC+ through Sprint! It's not even an option with AT&T or VZW."
    Well I stand by my first response your wrong and I didn't need to go into a highly intellectually stimulating response because you are wrong you can add AppleCare + with At&t and Verizon. So spare us all your sarcasm

23. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I'll spare the sarcasm in this response only as you seem to be having a difficult time with the facts.

One CANNOT purchase Apple Care + through VZW or AT&T. One can purchase it from Apple after the fact (within 30 days and either in an Apple store or over the phone on some circumstances). The OP's rant was about Sprint pushing him to buy AC+ from them. My response was about the option to buy AC+ through AT&T or VZW.

If you're ignorant of the facts or have difficulty with reading comprehension, perhaps your time would be better spent elsewhere.

24. Jungle Jack macrumors member

Hello,
    I never received the hard sell to get AC, Actually, it was never mentioned in both the Sarasota and Bradenton Florida Sprint Stores I visited.
    Cheers,
    JJ

25. Beachmonkey macrumors newbie

I bought myself and my wife the iPhone 5 at Sprint. When we inquired about the insurance from Sprint and Apple Care, our sales rep responded saying that the Sprint insurance does not cover the iPhone so the insurance on the account would automatically come off.

He further stated we would need to go to apple to get the Apple Care. All of this was in a very helpful and polite manner. Not sure why someone would even attempt the "I cant sell you a phone without insurance" line, seems like the majority of consumers are smart enough to know better and take their business elsewhere.