iPhone stolen. Buy another one now with free upgrade or wait til new-gen in June?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by k.na, Apr 18, 2009.

  1. k.na macrumors member

    k.na

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2008
    Location:
    New York
    #1
    So last night my iPhone was stolen out of my bag at a bar. The person was clearly not returning it so I filed the police report, suspended my service, etc. etc. I am eligible for a reduced-pricing upgrade to purchase a new iPhone for the $199 price.

    Now, I know that there's a new generation iPhone being released in June. My question is, is it going to be a substantial change from the current-gen iPhone and therefore worth waiting for? I have my old Razor that I'm currently using and I could continue using it til June and then upgrade then if that's the case.

    BUT

    Having had the iPhone for a while now and really dreading the idea of using my old standard cell phone for 2 months, if the next-gen isn't going to be all that different, I might just use my upgrade now and purchase the current iPhone for the reduced $199 price.

    What do you think? Wait it out or buy it now?
     
  2. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2008
    #3
    Buy it now for $199. When the new one comes out you can sell yours unlocked for more than $200 and buy the new one if you want it.
     
  3. bradl macrumors 68040

    bradl

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2008
    #4
    Assuming it doesn't come with 2.2.1 already, which the baseband hasn't been cracked to be unlocked yet. Jailbroken, yes. unlocked, no.

    What I don't see is where this 'free' upgrade is at. Either way you go, you'd still be paying $199, and that is assuming that the subsidized price if the same when (if) the new iPhone comes out.

    So what you should do is wait until WWDC. At least by then you will know if a new iPhone will be coming out, and WHAT PRICE it will be. If it turns out to be more even at a subsidized price, then you buy the 3G, if money is your concern. But at this time it would be not just more logical, but more advantageous to you to wait to see what both may have to offer.

    BL.
     
  4. nicheco macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    #5
    i just put a huge spider in my phone. not happy. apple let me have a new 16 gb for 299. i bought it, and i will probably still buy the new one in june.
     
  5. gumball981 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    #6
    wait until June. I don't believe a few months without an iphone is going to kill anyone. if you buy one now your subsidized price will be gone and you will end up paying full price for the new one.
     
  6. queshy macrumors 68040

    queshy

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2005
    #7
    I would wait, but be prepared to wait longer than expected. The current iPhone came out July 11, and this year, 3.0 probably won't be ready til August seeing as how Apple always delays things.
     
  7. milani macrumors 68000

    milani

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    #8
    No, you don't.

    But by all means wait for the new device that you're sure is going to be released in June...
     
  8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #9
    Use your Razor, and wait until the next one comes out, versus buying a new 3G now and waiting until they decide to sell full price next gen phone.

    If it did come out and they had full price phones day 1, you'd feel silly getting hammered for full price so soon after starting your 2 year contract.
     
  9. duky macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    North Carolina
    #10
    I think you should ask yourself the following:
    Knowing what you know now about the differences between iPhone 3G and the first-gen iPhone..if you were in the same position last year around this time (with your current knowledge) would you have told yourself to buy a new first-gen iPhone or wait for the 3G?

    I say this because whatever upgrades come will probably be comparable and it might help to think of it that way.

    Having said that, 2mths isn't that long so I'd wait---but I love having the newest device so buying something that, in all probability, is about to be replaced is out of the question for me.
     
  10. iGaryMonnecka macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2009
    #11
    im sorry, what?
     
  11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #12
    I think that means he cracked his screen.

    To the OP, I would recommend waiting. It is only 2 months, and you won't have to go through the hassle of trying to sell your old phone.
     
  12. theDUB macrumors 6502a

    theDUB

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2008
    Location:
    SLT, CA
    #13
    Buy a new one now and then a new one again in june/july like a good little consumer. ;)
     
  13. gjw4u macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2008
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #14
    OP, I would wait for summer, and use your old phone until then.
     
  14. k.na thread starter macrumors member

    k.na

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2008
    Location:
    New York
    #15
    I guess that's true. Just from what I've been hearing around, I just assumed that it's going to happen.

    What's the likelihood of a new model iPhone being released this summer? And what are some of the likely upgrades?
     
  15. cellocello macrumors 68000

    cellocello

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto, ON
    #16
    85% likely, and no one's quite sure what to expect from the new model. Video chat maybe? 32 gigs maybe?
     
  16. k.na thread starter macrumors member

    k.na

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2008
    Location:
    New York
    #17
    Any physical changes, do you think? 32GB doesn't really matter to me as I'm probably only going to get the base model.
     
  17. cellocello macrumors 68000

    cellocello

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto, ON
    #18
    I doubt it. If anything, the new model will be as different from the 3G, as the 3G was from the original iPhone.
     

Share This Page