iPhone stolen--need some help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by I'mAMac, Apr 18, 2011.

1. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

OK so long story short, my iPhone 4 was stolen the other day and now I'm using the original iPhone 2G. I'm having trouble with backups because obviously the iPhone 2G doesn't run iOS software. So my question is how can I get my Contacts from my iPhone 4, which are stored onto my computer, and put them onto the iPhone 2G that I have now? Thanks in advance for all the help.

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

"The 2G doesn't run iOS software" it does...it just wasn't called that when it came out. I didn't have a problem when my 4 was stolen, I just restored my last backup to my 2G and it was fine.

3. saberahul macrumors 68040

For all who read this thread: set up find my iPhone. It's free! Seriously...

4. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

OK should've clarified, the 'same' ios software that the iPhone 4 has.

Thats really odd then because I tried it and it took a couple of hours and accomplished nothing. Maybe theres some other problem that I overlooked :-/

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Interesting...you do have to get a new sim card, may be the issue. In my understanding, and seems to be true, the underlying architecture is the same and will just strip out anything that's not compatible with the version you're running on your 2G. Good luck.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

All iPhone run iOS.

Maybe some screenshots of the error?

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You should be able to sync all your Address Book contacts on the 2G. That is, unless you don't use that.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did you sync your contacts with your computer thru address book or you just have them on your iphone 4 backup file?
    You wont be able to restore your iphone 4 backup to your iphone 2G cause they're incompatible.
    You can try finding someone with an i4 or 3GS with firmware version of what you had installed on your i4 or higher. Then restore from backup to this i4 or 3GS and then once they're there you can transfer them to your computer with itunes.
    Then click the iphone with the restored backup on itunes on the left, select info on the tabs listed there next to summary.
    Then check sync contacts with:
    That way you will get your contacts off and transfer them to your computer and from there you can sync them to your 2G. But everything else like texts, email accounts, calendars and other stuff is gone.

9. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Even if your iPhone 2G can't run the latest version of iOS, all of your data such as contacts and media should transfer to it if you backed them up regularly as everyone should do.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Not true, I've done it several times.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Really? I thought newer iOS backups created could not be restored to older firmware versions. Like a backup created on 4.2.1 could not be restored to an iphone running 3.1.3
    But older backups from 3.1.3 could be restored to newer firmware like 4.0 for example.
    Not 100% but that's what I heard from people having issues with them.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I guess this could have changed recently, but my 4 was stolen in Oct, got a new SIM for my 2G and restored from the last 4 backup, got a replacement in early Nov, so just backed up my 2G and restored the 4 from it and it's been chugging along ever since. They definitely could have put something in 4.1.X or higher that doesn't allow you to do this any more.

*Apps like iMovie didn't transfer over, so it could also just be selective in what it lets you move.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Maybe after 4.1. I heard others complain about those backup problems before.
    Another way of Apple making you update to latest firmware and hardware I guess:)

14. Teechur macrumors newbie

Problem is, if someone steals it they generally know enough to turn it off right away so it's useless.

I made a purchase in my local Staples, set my phone down on the counter to pay, walked out the door...realized and turned right around...less than 30 seconds and the phone was gone. Husband had his iPhone and we immediately looked for it. It was off and never turned back on. Of course I sent a wipe command. Bastages!

15. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

It's free and garbage. If you lose your iPhone in a field or something, you'll have a chance of getting it back. But if it's stolen, say good bye. You realize even if the phone has a lock on it, all they have to do is take out the SIM card and your precious 'Fine my iPhone' is almost as useful as a Zune. Apple needs to start from scratch on this 'Fine my iPhone' feature and find a way to locate your iPhone even if the SIM was removed, and if the phone was restored. Then it will be useful.

16. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Its better than nothing.

17. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Staples was no help? The police should be able to get the video of the crook taking your iPhone. That should help. :apple:

18. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

It can still be found if it is connected and found via WiFi.

19. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

FAIL post. Wrong

20. victorvu macrumors member

Care to elaborate?

21. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

How is that wrong? It's 100% true. The only fail is your explanation behind your 3 word post.

22. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

that's rich. even questioning if staples was of any help...

;)

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Think about it for a bit before you post nonsense that its useless etc.
    How do you expect to find your iphone if the sim is removed or its not connected to wifi to transmit back the information to you?
    Somehow magically thru the wind?
    Let us know what phone would do that if it has no data connection or if everything on it is erased/restored?

24. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I said they should find a way to make it work. Look at a normal GPS. There is no SIM card or any data connection in which you pay for. It's all done by satellites. I'm positive Apple could do this if they wanted to. Will they? Probably not. Why? Because they probably think the Find my iPhone app they created is God-like.

Maybe you should think about it for a while. It is possible.

25. elan123 macrumors 6502

basically thats it