iPhone T-Mobile Users! Keep Free Tethering!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by livlif, Apr 10, 2013.

1. livlif macrumors member

If you have a JB iPhone and recently switched to tmobile or were using tmobile and updated your carrier settings so you can take advantage of LTE, 4g and visual voicemail you loose the ability to do personal hotspot. I had JB iPhone 5 with tether me installed. Once I updated my carrier settings the option to tether was gone. I could only use it if I contacted tmobile customer service. Long story short if you use the program ifile you can can remove this file and it will give you the personal hotspot option back. So awesome!

Download iFile or iExplorer and navigate to /private/var/Managed Preference/mobile and delete the com.apple.managedCarrier.plist file.

2. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

3. ProudLoz macrumors regular

Never delete, just rename the file. It'll do the exact same thing.

4. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Either way, free tethering is included on all T-Mobile data plans.

5. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

This! No need for jb to tether! 500mb as default for tethering on the unlimited data.

6. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

i don't think this applies to the people having unlimited data on unlimited data plans that are no longer offered (the ones that cost around $5-10)

7. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yea i meant on the new uncarrier plan!

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Wrong.

I have the $70 unlimited plan and there is no tethering offered in my T-Mobile account page. On two other accounts, the $30 100 minute plans, tethering os offered for $15. None of these accounts includes 500MB free.

I believe the only plans that include free tethering is the post paid accounts.

9. tslewis macrumors member

No it is not. For unlimited 4g unshaven to be of a post paid plan not a pre. Spend a week going through hoops to get this.

----------

There is but you have to change from a pre paid plan to a post. I spent a week doing this.

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Well I don't need to change my unlimited to a post paid unlimited. I am using that account on a Nexus 4 which has tethering enabled straight from Google.

The two $30 plans, I am using on iPhones.

11. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Tethering is enabled on the Nexus 4 because T-Mobile has no control over the device when bought from Google. That doesn't mean you have the hotspot feature enabled on your account.

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

True. There is no option for me to buy tethering on the unlimited account but I have been able to tether using this phone for the past three months on this account.

13. Oyinko macrumors newbie

I can't find the file with iExplorer. And I don't know where to find iFile. Any idea?

14. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

Are you jailbroken? If not you can't access those files. Anyway, I did it and it didn't work at all. I'm on the prepaid $30 plan.

15. oj in compton macrumors newbie

I am also unable to find this file, jailbroken on 6.1.0 with the carrier update. Strange.

16. Kevin813 macrumors newbie

6.1.2 tweaked a128 jailbroken. The "mobile" file is empty

17. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

I meant post-paid accounts. Yes, the $70 M4G plan is not compatible with mobile hotspot. And those who had it cannot be grandfathered either.

18. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Does not apply to those with the UNLIMITED plan or those on a PREPAID plan with the new T-Mo iPhone 4 or 5.