iPhone T-mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikeglongo, Nov 16, 2011.

1. mikeglongo macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm new here, and I have t-mobile. I don't really want to buy an unlocked phone, and I have T-mobile because my family plan is under it, and it's costly for me to leave t-mobile to get an individiaul plan just for an iphone.

I know it's hard to assume or guess, but does anyone here think the new iphone might be available to T-mobile customers?

I really want one, I'm getting sick of Android phones now with their damn battery.

I spoke to a representative and they told me "secretly" that T-mobile is most likely going to get the iphone5 next year.

I know T-mobile is "okay" with getting the iphone, but now Apple hasn't really approved yet?

I would love to know, because if this is not true, I really have another year on my t-mobile contract, so I'll wait it out I guess, but I might want to switch t Sprint since it has the cheapest individual plan

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think Apple is waiting to find out if AT&T will attain T-Mobile or not. If they do, then you'll be an AT&T customer and you can get the iPhone. If they don't, I'm guessing the iPhone will come to T-Mobile. It's almost win-win. Kind of.

Btw, I really doubt the T-Mobile representative knows about any iPhone coming to T-Mobile. Only Apple and T-Mobile top executives would know.

You should calculate if it would be cheaper for you to buy an unlocked iPhone and use it on T-Mobile (or to switch entirely). Remember you can always sell your iPhone unlocked for a lot which should help balance the price.

3. mikeglongo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot man.

It sucks right now because even my girlfriend is getting the iPhone and I hate being stuck with the Android phones.

She's with Verizon and I don't want to go to Verizon that much.

I'm really hoping they'll either get the deal done or figure something out.

How long would it take for T-mobile/At&t to go down? I'm assuming it'll take a few years no?

Not following it too much

----------

I really don't want an unlocked iPhone honestly, plus doesn't it only use EDGE? Not worth it...

4. BFG86 macrumors 6502

Getting the unlocked phone is your only option right now. And yes it will only use edge. That's why t-mobile turned down the iPhone. They wanted apple to make the phone work in their spectrum

5. mikeglongo thread starter macrumors newbie

So Apple turned them down your saying? Because T-mobile wanted Apple to make the phone in T-mobile's sectrum so that's up to Apple.

I know that's the only choice at this point, that's why I'm asking if there is any chance T-mobile might get the iPhone next year?

Honestly T-mobile SHOULD if it wants to keep it's business.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Sprint has 3G, but I'm not sure if it's that much faster than T-Mobile's Edge (depends on your area).

If your gf has verizon, can't you add a line to her account? Would be cheaper..

Apple didn't turn T-Mobile down. They didn't even ask T-Mobile yet.
    They could build an iPhone that works on T-Mobile 3G. In fact, I think the current chipset should be able to do it.

7. mikeglongo thread starter macrumors newbie

1st question - I could but we're still young, she's under her family plan, and I'm under mine. Anything can happen when your young, we're both 19-20 years old so you never know. Wouldn't be wise to add a line on her account.

2nd. Okay, I guess I have to wait on the news then. Here's to hoping that T-Mobile might get the iPhone5 then

8. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

From what I've read T-Mobile uses different tech compared to AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, etc. That's why T-Mobile doesn't have the iPhone. T-Mobile wants the iPhone, but Apple hasn't made a compatible device. That's why you are seeing smaller providers such as C-Spire, get the iPhone before T-Mobile.

I've been waiting for the iPhone to arrive on Virgin Mobile's Network. They use the same network as Sprint and have the iPhone in Australia, what's the hold up?

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Apple can make it work with the current 4S if they wanted to. Even if the chip couldn't support 1700mhz band (which it does), Apple could just make an updated iPhone to support T-Mobile 3G (as they did for Verizon).

I doubt your reasoning is the case why T-Mobile doesn't have the iPhone.

10. mikeglongo thread starter macrumors newbie

So then what the hell is the hold up? Can it really cost them that much?

I'm sure Apple will make a lot of money off of T-mobile iphones, I mean a lot. So many t-mobile people that i know are leaving soon because they want the iPhone.

11. HeatherA macrumors 6502

HeatherA

I'm pretty sure the hold up is the potential merger with AT&T. Apple requires quite a contract for providers to sell their phones. It'd be silly for them to sign a contract with T-Mobile if the provider is gone in a year or so.

I've been with T-mobile for years, buying an unlocked iPhone actually worked out to being cheaper over 2 years than going with ATT, Verizon or Sprint and signing a 2 year contract. It hurt a bit up front, but worth it.

12. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

Possible, but the current baseband doesn't (or does) support it.
    I'm in with the thread starter!
    I won't buy an unlocked iPhone and I will wait patiently :)rolleyes:) for the T-Mobile iPhone!

13. omegle macrumors newbie

From what I've heard, the chip in the 4S is not compatible, but the chip in the 4 is, but Apple has no plans to release a software update to use the 1700 band.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will be waiting for a very long time.
    Either get an unlocked iPhone or switch.
    Nobody knows if when or how and why.

15. mikeglongo thread starter macrumors newbie

But how sure are you?? I still believe it's qyite possible that Apple moves to the T-mobile sector.

Even if the acquisition goes through and is finalized, wouldn't it be years before T-mobile users can even get the iphone? :(

16. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

If you really want an iPhone but don't want to pay the outrageous fee for an unlocked model buy a used 2G for under $120 and you would be set. That would defiantly hold you out while the country watches the T-Mobile USA merger.

17. mikeglongo thread starter macrumors newbie

So does everyone think this merger is going to go through?! I'm hearing there are major setbacks and it might definitely not happen...

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Even if it does happen it can take years till everything is switched over and your account is transfered over to AT&T Mobile.
    Why not switch the whole family earlier? AT&T's family plans are priced good and if you get unlimited texting you can get unlimited calling for free to any mobile number. This way you can save by going with the cheapest minute plan and getting that unlimited talk and text deal for all lines on the family account.

19. mikeglongo thread starter macrumors newbie

Because then we have to pay the ridiculous cancellation fees otherwise we have to wait like another 2 years