Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russ9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
When typing on an iPhone, it doesn't tell you how many characters you have left. So texts can come up as multiple ones when received. Question is… are you charged for 2 texts if you send a 200 character message. Or just 1?

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Yes, if your carrier charges for them and has the character limit, as most do, it would count as 2. You can turn on character count in the message settings.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
Even if you have the Character Count turned on there are two reasons why you might not see it.

1) It's only displayed when you are on the second line. It is shown above the send button and until you are on the second line there is no space there to show it.

2) you are sending with iMessage. iMessage has no limit so it's not needed and not shown.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I have character count on mine. Since you appear to not be US based (since we have unlimited SMS plans), I don't know if your country has CDMA, but CDMA carriers will split the texts up, since they can't send as one chunk. iMessage goes as one chunk since it's data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.