iPhone texts on computer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OMGbrandon, Nov 30, 2010.

1. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

I was wondering if i could answer texts and receive texts through my computer.

2. Sciphone macrumors newbie

There maybe an app developer who also provides a web interface for their texting app. I would check with a google search for a definitive answer.

3. OMGbrandon thread starter macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

Surprised your not able to do this...
    Pretty lame..

4. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

5. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

This dashboard widget lets you send them but I don't know if there's and app to send/receive...

6. OMGbrandon thread starter macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

That could work, but i has no Macbook... lol

7. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

Is this a common feature? I'm pretty sure most phones can't do this. Most likely, this is a network limitation; AT&T would have to build a web interface for texting.

8. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

+1 but then again what do you expect from newbies

You can use hundreds of different ways to send free texts using your computer

receiving them is the problem

as far as i know there is no way to send and receive texts using a computer that will use your cell phone number

a) stop being cheap or
    b) just using e-mail

9. OMGbrandon thread starter macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

Yeh, good job reading.

What I was looking for is a client through wifi or bluetooth to send and receive messages on my phone through my computer.
    Just like using facebook chat but through my texts.

10. walie macrumors 6502a

I was able to do this 3 years ago using my N95 connected to my computer through bluetooth. My phone would notify me that a text came in, and I just had to open the Nokia synching suite on my computer to read the message and reply. There is a similar solution for Android called SMS2PC that worked great with my nexus one via wifi. I haven't found anyting similar for my iphone though

11. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

aim, Facebook, e-mail

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I can't imagine anyone who would want this feature.

13. walie macrumors 6502a

typical apple response, since we don't offer it, its obviously not useful and why would anyone want it :rolleyes:

don't knock it till you try it. Its extremely convenient. If i'm on my computer doing work or reading around and someone texts me, i will get a small notification that will let me read the message and quickly respond wiithout having to pick up my phone, open the text and replying.

now i'm expecting the "how hard is it to pick up your phone read the text, you must be the laziest person in the world" response :D

14. blubyu macrumors member

how hard is it to pick up your phone read the text, you must be the laziest person in the world :p

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I was able to do this on a WM phone via a site called Dashwire. I just downloaded an app on my phone and it would sync stuff(call logs, txt, pics, ringtones, etc) to it's server. It allowed me to send and receive txt messages straight from the site/browser.

16. OMGbrandon thread starter macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

Thanks for the info, and no be useless...

17. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Email is just as quick. Far too many people miss this fact.

There's even an App for your iPhone, that reduces the number of keystrokes it takes to send an email. It's super fast, fun & easy. I use it all the time.

Go to the App store & search, it's called "Zipnote".

18. walie macrumors 6502a

i think you're missing the point

19. rrandyy macrumors 6502

I used to use BluePhoneElite. It worked really well. Allows you to read and send SMS messages on a Mac. It looks like the developer stopped selling it, but maybe google for it?

20. rrandyy macrumors 6502

Doesn't look like this program lets you SMS through your phone using your Mac. BluePhoneElite allowed that through bluetooth.

21. RebelSyd macrumors newbie

I'm with the OP. If you're sitting on a computer all day, the functionality of viewing/receiving your iphone information (i.e. caller id, SMS) on your computer monitor via bluetooth or wi-fi is just convenient. It's kinda like when you get in your bluetooth enabled car and you receive a call...

22. n1c macrumors newbie

Jailbreak, and then install WifiSMS.
    You can even use something like Fluid (if on a Mac) to create a standalone browser app.

23. Redtrolley macrumors newbie

Send SMS from Windows PC

Lion iMessage on Mac will cover Mac users messaging their Apple owning friends.

For Windows users, try the HappyFingers app to send SMS text messages from your PC using your WiFi connected iPhone.

www.happyfingersapp.com

No jailbreak required