Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nervouschimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I thought I would share my story of my friend, who works in the apple store, getting handed my wife's stolen iPhone for re-activation:

So my house was robbed while my wife and I slept back in may. It was a smash-n-grab type job, and my wife's purse and iPhone were stolen in the incident. Needless to say, it freaked us out, lots. We immediately called AT&T and had the iPhone's IMEI number blacklisted. We also provided the serial number of the iPhone to the police.

About a week later, a man brought my wife's iphone into the local Apple store (Salt Lake), with plans to have apple bypass the pass-code, and reactivate the phone for him. He walked up to the genius bar and handed the iPhone to an apple employee. That employee happened to be a friend of ours. It didn't take her long to figure out the iPhone belonged to us, since my wife had set one of our wedding pictures as the background image. She immediately called my wife, and my wife told her that we had just been robbed, and that the iPhone was stolen.

The first thing our concerned friend did is copy down the man's driver's license info, and then inform the man that the iPhone he was in possession of was stolen property, and could not be re-activated. Then, her superiors decided they would have no further involvement, and allowed the man to leave with our iPhone. Our friend then gave the man's personal info to her manager, and we were told that our detective would have to contact their security guy to get the man's info.

Our detective is actually way cool, and was more than willing to contact Apple, as he wanted any leads that might help him grab the person(s) responsible for the robbery of our home. At first Apple told our detective that no personal info on the man had been recorded, but after a little pressure, they did admit that our friend had indeed submitted the man's identity to her management, but if our detective wanted the man's identity, he would have to issue a subpoena to Apple's legal department. Frustrated by Apple's complete unwillingness to cooperate, our detective decided to push forward, and went to the DA for a subpoena, informing us that Apple had basically just stalled the investigation by several weeks, because the DA is extremely busy and it would take that long just to get the subpoena.

Well, the detective called this morning to let us know that Apple had sent him info finally: My info. They sent him MY freaken info. My name and number. Now almost 2 months, and a subpena later, their incompetent legal and security teams send the detective the plaintiff's info. Stupid, Stupid.

This goes to show that not even an amazing stroke of luck like having your stolen iphone handed to a friend working at the Apple store can get your precious device returned to you, and thanks to Apple, my case is now cold. Thanks, Apple.

And what if the man in possession of the iPhone was not involved in the robbery? I don't care. My friend told him it was stolen in a robbery, and he kept it anyway. If he bought a still password-protected-with some strange couple on the home screen-iPhone, and for a suspicious price off craigslist, then screw him, he should know better.

Now my detective is really annoyed, and I think it's a matter of principle now. Even though any hope getting our phone back or solving our robbery is long gone, our detective is frustrated enough with Apple, that he is going to take whatever measures are necessary.

I will post back with the final outcome.

Thanks to my friend at the Apple store who tried to help us.

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Wow. Interesting first post! Welcome to the forums.

Anyway, why didn't your friend just write down the info for you? And at that point, as a friend, that's when she should step up and call the cops on her own. At least that's what I would have tried to do.

You're right about the craigslist part. If he isn't the robber but bought it off of craigslist or something and saw the strange wedding picture, screw him too. He's just as accountable for buying stolen goods as the person who stole it in the first place. There is a chance the guy purchased it without seeing it, maybe from eBay or something. But the fact that he took it and left seems to indicate he knew he was doing something wrong.

Good luck with your case.

sibruk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
UK+US
I'm just waiting for somebody to say "pics or it didn't happen"...

Seriously though, that's shocking. Have you managed to get the cost of the iPhone back from your home contents insurance or anything?

Being robbed is a life changing moment. You suddenly don't even feel safe in your own home. I hope you are managing to get on with life.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
No wonder your user name has nervous in it! Sorry to hear about the break in.

I support Apple not giving out information to easily but they shouldn't have stalled that long. Plus, they should be allowed to confiscate stolen goods presented to them. I'm surprised your friend didn't leak the guys details to you.

As well as remote wipe - we need remote location via GPS. That'd give 'em a shock when the feds come through the window! (I appreciate yours is 1st Gen and therefore no GPS)

nervouschimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I'm just waiting for somebody to say "pics or it didn't happen"...

Seriously though, that's shocking. Have you managed to get the cost of the iPhone back from your home contents insurance or anything?

Being robbed is a life changing moment. You suddenly don't even feel safe in your own home. I hope you are managing to get on with life.

No, we found out the hard way that our policy does not cover theft.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Nice story, but we will file it under "fiction". Also, we will file it under "badly researched" fiction.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
UGH, the beginning started out so good and went down hill. God, if i was your friend working at Apple i would of called you and had you come down in person and see this loser. Then beat him over the head.

Goodluck though.

Then again, this is hard to believe. The OP just joined today...

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Very similar story to one posted yesterday....

Someone broke into my apartment and stole my MacBook last April, and I filed a report with the police but never thought I'd see or hear of it again. But in June, I got an automatically generated email from Apple that my computer had been brought it to the Apple store for repair! I guess since I was registered as the original owner my email was still in their database system. I was thrilled! I called the store, they said I had to tell the police and that they would deal with the police. So I did, and from there it has all gone downhill.

The police said Apple was refusing to give them the laptop. So they got a search warrant and took a posse to the store threatening to arrest the entire staff for possession of stolen property if my computer was not turned over to them immediately. They got my computer. But they can't return it to me until they have completed their investigation which involves arresting the person who brought the computer in for repair (again, for possession of stolen property) and questioning that person. And herein lies the trouble: Apple is stonewalling the police and refusing to release the information. Yes a subpoena was delivered to Apple a month ago. I have tried to get involved myself, to see if there is anyone I can talk to about this and get the ball rolling again, but everyone I talk to at apple says they can't help me and only the police can talk to the legal department. When I point out that the police have been talking to the legal dept and get nowhere, I'm told that there's nothing I can do. This is so frustrating!!!!

To add to the insult, we're talking about a breaking and entering - a pretty serious crime. Someone broke into our apartment at night while I, my husband and my son were sleeping. This is scary and I can't understand why the company would want to hinder the investigation. The chances that the police are going to get anywhere with this are very small now and I am upset that they were not allowed to immediately question the only person who might be able to lead them to the thief.

Finally, when I went into the store myself, I was told that it was a good thing the police already had my computer because company policy requires staff to return property to the person who has brought it in if they come to get it, EVEN IF THEY ARE AWARE THAT IT IS STOLEN PR0PERTY. Why on earth would Apple privilege a "customer" who has bought stolen property over a customer who bought their product at full retail value???

Does anyone have any ideas of who I can talk to about this and how to get things rolling again?

tobyg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Nice story, but we will file it under "fiction". Also, we will file it under "badly researched" fiction.

That's just about as close as you can get to saying "pics or it didn't happen" without actually saying it! Heh.

Yeah, my bad. I didn't do my research when I posted. I still don't fully understand the motivation to post these things if they really aren't true. Maybe it's some ploy to discredit apple in some way but I just don't get it. Or maybe they're trying to tell thieves its ok to buy a stolen iPhone because Apple won't take it from you? Don't see the point of that either. Or maybe this post is fake and Apple would never let you walk out of the store with a stolen iPhone and this is just a way people are trying to goat would-be iphone thieves into returning to Apple to fix their stolen phone so Apple could then take it from them?

Guess I'll have to do more research about these types of posts to figure it out. :)

sibruk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
UK+US
God, what is wrong with you people. Not everything is a conspiracy, you know! :rolleyes:

A lot of home contents insurance policies dodge PDAs and miscellaneous electrical items etc. Should really check your small print if you've got an iPhone!

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Guess I'll have to do more research about these types of posts to figure it out. :)

Keep a look out — there'll probably be another thread tomorrow or so about Apple refusing to help the police when someone's iPhone/MacBook was stolen from their apartment while they were sleeping…
:cool: ;)

sibruk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
UK+US
The OP posts a long tale describing how Apple is in cahoots with iPhone thieves to obstruct justice, and I'm the conspiracy theorist?
That's not what I read! It was about the frustration of the US legal system, and the fact that criminals are pussyfooted around in an attempt not to infringe their human rights, wasn't it?!

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Wow, you're phone got stolen, the thief took it to an Apple employee, who recognized your wedding photo on the phone? What are the chances of that happening? :hugefreakingrolleyes:

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
The OP posts a long tale describing how Apple is in cahoots with iPhone thieves to obstruct justice, and I'm the conspiracy theorist?

Many corporations require a subpoena before they hand over this type of information to protect themselves against lawsuits. I'm not saying this story happened or didn't happen, but the idea of a corporation requiring a court ordered subpoena before they hand over a private citizen's personal information is not so far fetched.

synner

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Preston, UK
Wow, you're phone got stolen, the thief took it to an Apple employee, who recognized your wedding photo on the phone? What are the chances of that happening? :hugefreakingrolleyes:

Ummmm... Go back, read again, then apologise.

:hugefreakingrolleyes:

nervouschimp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
You have contents insurance that doesn't cover theft? Now I know for certain that you are full of it.

the previous owners provided the home-owners insurance, it was part of the deal, and my fault for not reading the pamplet more closely, was just in a rush to close on the house. Beleive me I was shocked too.

Why would I make this up. You are jaded, man. Trolling, slander, and lies are not in my nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.