iPhone to be sold unlocked in Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by godfreyhk, Jun 10, 2008.

1. godfreyhk macrumors member

According to this document, SIM locking is basically NOT allowed in Hong Kong for tying customers to networks... so does that mean iPhones will be sold unlocked in Hong Kong :rolleyes: Or, at least, according to the document, they would have to disclose the amount of subsidy, and provide options for the customer to repay the subsidy and unlock the phone...

(I mean, I know they'd have some kind of contracts to ensure you're going to pay the carrier for at least 2 years, but then having your phone SIM unlocked means that you could continue using your phone when travelling aboard, etc.. still better than nothing right?)

2. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Oh wow! Really?

I'm in Macao, and I hope the iPhone3G will hit my shores soon after the HK launch. If not, HK is a short ferry ride away... ;)

Hutchinson 3's website still shows no sign of the iPhone on either the HK nor Macao website.

3. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

3 is the worst network in HK IMHO.

I switched from 3 to Smartone-Vodafone and have been happy with their service and coverage in the past 2 yrs. My iPhone v1 works well unlocked.

I hear rumors that 3 only has a few months exclusivity.

4. samab macrumors 6502a

First of all --- it's a 11 year old document based on outdated European principles that not even Europeans are following.

Secondly, the document didn't say that they are not allowed to do such things.

All they said was that the carriers can't simlock SOLELY for the purpose of tying down their customers --- then in the same page, the government gives the carriers a million different vaguely reason on how they can simlock their customers.

5. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

hmm...just thinking...Smartone has exclusivity on Sharp phones and some Blackberry models. I don't see how other carriers will be selling the iPhone 3G. Darn! Lets wait and see how this thing pans out.

6. Knolly macrumors 6502a

In Hong Kong carriers are allowed to lock a phone in order to protect subsidy, which they will.

Much more important is Belgium where phone locking is illegal in all forms.

7. iWizzard macrumors regular

I just hope they dont charge €900 for a phone without a subscription.