iPhone - to buy, or not to buy, you tell me.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by karleaglemac, May 18, 2008.

1. karleaglemac macrumors regular

karleaglemac

Okay, here's the deal. My wife and I have a shared plan with Verizon Wireless and have never had any problems at all. As a matter of fact, they really have been great. Our plan is about to expire and I am thinking about starting anew with a family plan with AT&T JUST to get an iPhone. Talk some sense into me (either way).

iPhone with AT&T:
    Pros - very cool, very useful, Apple
    Cons - iPhone is VERY expensive to purchase

Staying with Verizon:
    Pros - offer for a free Blackberry, no hassle of changing to a new plan
    Cons - another two year agreement (and envying an iPhone, especially with the new updates coming soon)

Thanks for your thoughts and advice!

2. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

Funny, I am trying to do the exact same thing. My contract with verizon ended monday. I am just waiting around until the 3g iPhone is released to make my decision. The iPhone is cool, cooler than a blackberry. That machine is all business. When I see the new iPhones, the app store and the apps, the new price and factor all those things together with plan costs, then I'll think about new phones and plans.
    Until then I advise to just hang around on your verizon contract and not sign up for any new 2yr contract until this rumored 3g iPhone becomes a reality. Hope that helps.

3. motoxpress macrumors 6502

I would at least wait until the new iPhone is officially announced. It's looking to be a sweet phone.

-mx

4. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Just get an ipod touch. What would you use the iphone for that cant be done on the ipod? The only benefit to the iphone that I can see is that you can use the web with a good browser without a wifi hotspot. If you live in a big city then there are usually free wifi spots wherever you go making the ipod perfectly suited for that purpose (maybe not driving from place to place, but you wont be using the web while driving anyways).

5. Hackcomic.com macrumors regular

I don't know about that. I live in LA- have an ipod touch and there isn't much in terms of wifi anywhere.

baseball game? Mall? When I get in my car after shopping? Unless I'm at some coffee shop - wifi just doesn't exist.

Which is why I am considering an iphone- the problem is- the plan is so much more expensive than my t-mobile sidekick.

1,000 minutes- free nights and weekends-unlimited text- unlimited email and web all for $59.99 a month.

I average 1,500 texts a month- so the 200 included texts of iphone is a joke.

6. karleaglemac thread starter macrumors regular

karleaglemac

Cost

I guess the main issue at hand is the price of the iPhone.

Is owning a device that allows you to surf the internet (the REAL internet), carry your itunes, and make phone calls really worth $500?

What do you guys honestly think?

7. Hackcomic.com macrumors regular

Rumors are the price may go down- but again.. rumors.

To me the price of the hardware isn't the issue - seems like most good smart phones are at least $300 (Sidekick for example) its the monthly price that doesn't even include more than 200 texts that is ridiculous.