iPhone to get USB3/Thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frostbit3, Jun 12, 2012.

1. frostbit3 macrumors member

Sorry if this has been talked about before, but with the addition of USB3 and Thunderbolt (thunderbolt being added a while back) do you guys think Apple will include one or both in the next iPhone? It seems to make sense and be the perfect time to do so since the dock connector appears to be redesigned.

2. JAT macrumors 603

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

USB 3? Possibly because it's backwards compatible with USB 2.

Thunderbolt isn't compatible with most computers yet so I don't see this being feasible.

4. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

it makes me laugh that I created a topic like this a few months back and everyone laughed at me for suggesting USB 3.0 and said thunderbolt would be a maybe...guess things are a bit different now :p

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I don't think Thunderbolt was seriously ever thought of as being the main connector type. It's not on PC's yet I don't believe, and only Macs in the past year support it.

It COULD be offered as an additional cord type, but would never ship as standard.

6. JAT macrumors 603

TB is an external PCI bus. It is pointless for a phone. USB3 is a natural upgrade. Frankly, it doesn't matter when that comes, but it will someday. People are barely using wires for phones anymore, anyway.

7. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Because phones charge themselves.

8. JAT macrumors 603

Yes, charging. But not for i/o. None of this discussion matters for charging. TB would REALLY be overkill for charging.

9. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

You'd be surprised a lot of people do plug their phones into the computer to sync music and backup/restore. Wifi sync is just to slow and my 20gb iTunes library is a pain to use with iTunes match.

10. JAT macrumors 603

I would be surprised. Most I know with a smartphone have zero music on their phones. But, they also don't sync anything via wires, if at all. Mostly iCloud or similar Google methods. Which don't really take time since they happen in the phone's downtime.

I also find Match to be a little underwhelming. Hopefully the Match improvements rumored to come in iOS6 will improve things. For now it always pays to download first, play later.