iPhone to go on sale in the UAE and Saudi Arabia?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aljawad, Feb 3, 2009.

1. aljawad macrumors regular

aljawad

According to a Reuters news report, The United Arab Emirates based Emirates Telecommunications Corp (Etisalat) will start selling a "third-generation" iPhone 3G in the United Arab Emirate and Saudi Arabia "later this month."

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsnews/idINL263530520090202?rpc=33

So far, nothing on either Apple or Etisalat web sites. Currently, grey-marketed unlocked 3G iPhone are unofficially available for sale in the region.

2. gjw4u macrumors 6502

I thought the 3G (Network) is the 2nd generation iPhone! So I don't think the Saudis & UAE will be getting a 3rd gen. 3G phone later this month.
    I guess apple would also have to block apps like iPint in arab countries:(

3. fedup flyer macrumors regular

I just hope Etisalat gives a resonable data plan for the iphone. Since they are a ripoff on all plans.
    I hope they decide to sell the unlocked version so I can use the 3g version when I go home.

4. fedup flyer macrumors regular

Just as I thought, Etisalat is ripping of their subscribers again. First you have to pay full price for the phone and it is locked. Then you have to be a post-paid subscriber with a 1 yr contract. (No thanks, I already have enough trouble getting my bank statement with their "postal service") Then their data rate plans are outrageous. 350 mins of voice with 1 GB of data comes out to $137. Ouch.

I think I will by an unlocked phone from Belgium and use the Blackberry Data Plan on the pre-paid account.