iPhone to launch in the UK at 7:02am BST Friday 11th July

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Spanky Deluxe, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I went over to my local O2 store earlier on to find out about the "pre-ordering" spiel. Basically, the pre-order is just a 'register for info' although non O2 customers can go and get their credit checks done now so that they're ready for release on iPhone day.

The salesman also said that they would be opening at 7:02am on Friday 11th July and will start selling the iPhone 3G then. Now I realise this could turn out to be false since it was only a sales clerk I was talking to although the details of "7:02am Friday, 11th" did sound as if he'd been told specifically that by *someone*.

2. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

This has been widely reported and confirmed (as best we can) in other posts here

Several stores are in shopping centres and opening time of these *may* be dictated by the centre manager and not the store (or even his Steveness)

3. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

He also said that they had no expectations to sell out at all and that when the first gen iPhone launched they sold less than half of their initial stock.

4. badgerman macrumors 6502a

there are so much conflicting info from various O2 stores across UK.

Did the one you goto mention the 16GB situ?

5. sallythemac Guest

I second this, anymore info?

6. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I didn't know about the whole 16gb issue until a few moments ago. I'll go back tomorrow and find out. Its only two minutes walk from home! :) I'll pop into Carphone Warehouse too.

7. sallythemac Guest

Cheers Spanky, looking forward to hearing back with some positive news (fingers crossed)!

8. MojoWill macrumors 6502

i said all of this a couple of weeks ago:

NO o2 stores have been given any specific information on what stock they will be getting, ie 8GB, 16GB PAYG etc

The national release time is 7.02am but this depends on store location ie shopping centers.

there is NO official policy of Pre-credit checks in place it seems to be at the stores discretion however there will be OFFICIAL pre-release contract/credit checks taking place in stores from a yet to be annouced date.

THE SEARCH BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

9. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

o2 ireland

so i went in to "pre order" the iphone, basically filled out a form and he took down my number and what model i wanted. nothing went through the system though, so im gonna go back at the end of the week after talking to customer care...

anyway back OT!!!

the guy said that the o2 store was "opening normal hours.....probably....." so i think they know a little less than in the uk....or care a little less! :p

i cant imagine them not having 16 gb models on the 11th, i mean thats a HUGE share of the iPhone market gone imediatly with ppl looking for the white model.

10. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

So why are O2 employees saying the exact opposite? Why are some stores still stating that *no* O2 stores will open before 9am, and why are many, many stores saying they won't get the 16gb?

They can't all be making it up... it wouldn't make sense - they're driving away customers.

If they didn't know at least a few would say they didn't know. They're giving definite answers - indicating they know exactly what stock they are getting. These are not small stores either.. they're ones in cities, so the theory that the smaller shops might get less stock goes out of the window.

The situation as it stands is:
    1. It looks increasingly likely the 16gb will not be available on the first day at least.
    2. About half the stores say PayG will be available, half not.
    2. O2 have made a complete dogs breakfast of this whole thing, and really need to come clean on what exactly will be available.

If these O2 staff really are making stuff up then O2 need to stamp on it *hard* because as I say they're driving away customers. I for one am simply not interested in an 8gb model.

11. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

Correct-o-mundo!

12. alFR macrumors 68020

Tony, these are phone salesmen. They could say anything. Also, the people who have gone into stores and been told "we don't know" aren't likely to be posting on here, are they?

13. sallythemac Guest

True, good point.

14. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

They're not just phone salesmen they're O2 employees. They represent O2.

I'd expect a salesman to put a positive spin on things to try to keep your interest, or try to get a few extra quid out of you. A salesman would not say that the most popular model of a major product launch is not going to be available unless they had good reason to do so - because it's exactly the opposite of sales.. it causes people to walk away.

It's possible someone at O2 central screwed up and sent a memo that said that and they're just repeating it*.. however it happened O2 need to get off their arses and clarify what's going on. Is it worthwhile me going to the O2 shop on the 11th or not?

* Come to think of it it's also possible that someone at O2 copy/pasted a memo from the 2G launch and forgot to proofread it.

15. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

The store manager I spoke to in Hull had certainly spoken to the shopping centre manager re a 7am opening - she said it was a no go - the centre 'opens' at 8:30 but no purchases can be made before 9am

That said she did see I had desperation in my eyes and said I should check back with her on the 10th

Personally 9am is fine - I can stay in bed an hour or so and still be at the front of the queue [except all the o2 staff who are putting ther phones on one side]

16. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Aww I was hoping for a later launch after school xD Ah well I will just have to drag the mother there at 7am in the morning :)

17. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Because its the network, O2, 02... get it?

Anyway, as promised, I went back to the O2 store. They said they had not been informed yet as to whether they would be getting 8gb/16gb/black/white iPhones in. They said that this information has not been released yet to O2 retail. I also went to Carphone Warehouse and managed to speak to the manager there. They're opening at 7am and believe they'll have all the models in and see no reason why not. He did say though that he hasn't been told anything else.

So, from what I can gather, no O2 stores or Carphone Warehouse stores have been told anything other than "you can sell iPhone 3Gs from 7/7:02am on Friday morning".

18. Badgerguy macrumors member

Personally, I think it's best to reserve judgement.

O2 have sent out text messages to O2 customers that pre-registered their interest, and emails to anyone not on O2 (cheaper and safer than spamming competitors networks). However, they've given nothing away, are not asking people to pre-sign up, and are saying nothing officially in these emails and texts about opening times.

This indicates to me that O2 probably haven't yet finished diseminating information to all their stores, or if they have, are wanting to allow more time for those stores to finish training up their staff, and (where necessary) persuaring staff to work overtime if the early opening times are true!

I suspect that by Friday 4th, or possibly Monday 7th,the stores will be in a much better position to answer questions about when they'll be opening, and whether the 16GB model (black/white) will be available on launch day.

All the lack of information helps create more speculation and hype - which is exactly what Apple and O2 want - they want iPhone-fever, because a launch shrowded in mystery is bigger news than a launch where you know everything in advance, and there's less chatter going on.

It's definately going to be worth checking with your local stores next week to figure out the best course of action. For example my closest O2 stores are in a shopping centre that doesn't open until 9.30AM, so whether they will be opening and selling at 7.02 will depend on whether they can negotiate that with the shopping center.

I for one hope it is 7.02, as that means I can try to get my iPhone before work, and show it off round the office ;)

--
    BG

19. MojoWill macrumors 6502

so basically exactly what i said in my post?:rolleyes:

20. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

How fuc*ing unbelievable is it that O2 are limiting it to 1 iphone per customer, my mom was going to buy one for herself and one for me, i will be with her at the store, but the contract will have to go out in her name as I'm not 18 yet, if i get into the store at 7:02 am and they tell me they can't give me one because of their ridiculous policy I'm going to go absolutely crazy and turn into Larry David and shout at them

21. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Just phoned my local o2 store they confirmed they will have all the models and a 7.02 store opening. He also laughed at the 7.02 opening :p

22. badgerman macrumors 6502a

Yep, I agree with you on this one. I think on Friday 4th all will become clear, hopefully by direct O2 emails/txts rather than spotty teanage Carphone whores. ;)

I do suspect that PAYG wont be out on the 11th though.

23. Badgerguy macrumors member

I think it's perfectly fair - how many people are there on this forum alone that are really looking forward to buying an iPhone on launch day? Don't you think it would be a little unfair if people could walk in and buy more than one, thus depleting supply for other customers?

O2 are merely wanting to make sure that everyone that wants an iPhone can get one, and people aren't walking in trying to buy phones for themselves, their relatives, their relatives friends and their relatives friends with lucrative ebay empires selling hard-to-get goods at sky-high prices!

Yes, it makes it difficult for people like yourself where a parent will need to sign up for you, and may be looking to buy one for themselves - but this is a small price to pay to keep things as fair as possible for as many people as possible.

If you really, REALLY need to get around this, then your Mum will simply have to queue up again at a different store.

--
    BG