iPhone to Straight Talk concerns

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KAB2010, Mar 9, 2013.

1. KAB2010 macrumors 6502

I have a spare iphone 4 for att that I would like to give to my mom and she would use it on Straight Talk. I completely reset the phone and now I cannot get past the activation screen without inserting my sim. Don't I have to jailbreak and unlock the phone for it to be used on straight talk? How could I do this because If I use my sim, it would be using my line and phone number. I'm very confused. Help please?

2. 617aircav Suspended

Just put your SIM in it to get pass the activation screen, and remove it. you do not have to jailbreak and unlock to use ST.

3. KAB2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay but if I put my sim in it that will activate it with my phone number right? I want to give it to my mom with her own phone number.

4. Ann P macrumors 68020

You can use either SIM card to get past the unlock screen. Once unlocked, you can interchange with any cards. It won't be stuck on one line if that's what you're asking.

5. KAB2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

So my mom can take the iPhone to Walmart or wherever and just put the straight talk sim in to activate and be good to go? Could've swore that I read on multiple sites that the phone must be unlocked or it'd only work with AT&T

6. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Straight Talk sells 2 different SIM cards: and AT&T one and a T-Mobile one. Your mom will need an AT&T one, which has recently become hard to find.

7. Ann P macrumors 68020

Yes the AT&T iPhone will have to be factory unlocked. Sorry, I had the impression that your phone was already so.