iPhone too small?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mark28, Dec 11, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

Anyone ever noticed when you put the iPhone to your ear, the microphone is nowhere near where your mouth is?

The iPhone doesn't even reach half distance of my cheek.

2. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Does it work? Who cares then...

This is nothing new, my Ericsson from 2005 era was smaller than iPhone and it worked great as well, many years of blackberry's, pretty much and candybar form factor phone from the past decade.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The size is great for single handed usage, and doesn't feel ungainly large in your pocket

5. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's doesn't need to be right in front of your mouth. This isn't the 1950s. Mic technology has gotten a LOT better.

Fact is, a LOT of cell phones haven't had their mic close to the mouth for a long time. Remember the original Motorola flip phone from 1989? Well, maybe you don't, but even then, only the very first generation actually had the mic on the flip, directly in front of your mouth. Right afterwards, Motorola figured out that they could save themselves a lot of cash by making that flip a largely non functional piece of plastic, and hiding the real mic just under the keypad.

Since then I've had lots of cellphones that reach only halfway down my face. Lots of bluetooth earpieces too. And they work fine.

But, if you're really worried about it, there's a solution:

[​IMG]

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

What modern cell phone does???

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

It doesn't need to be in front of your mouth. Your caller can hear you, right?

Also, think of Bluetooth - that barely reaches your sideburns (if you have them) - nowhere near your cheek, and nowhere near your mouth - and you can still be heard.:D;)

9. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

It's all personal preference based on experience. If you've never had the pleasure of owning (not just playing with) a spacious 4.3" widescreen display, you don't know what you're missing.

Conversely if you value a small size over functionality, that's another factor to consider. The size difference is not as dramatic as many critics make of it.

I've always put functionality & usefulness over style. That's what serves me best. YMMV.

10. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

when you use FaceTime, when you want to talk do you pull the iPhone closer towards you to talk?
    Exactly you don't and it still works fine.
    If you are concerned you can also use the headphones that came with your phone.

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

if you want a bigger phone buy it. However for me it.s fine there is a big article that discusses why apple like this size. One hand vs 2 I checked they are right. I have fairly big hands too.

12. Longdrive macrumors member

If you're really concerned you could have your face shrunk?

13. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

This thread makes me think the OP hasn't seen a phone since the 1920s.

14. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

OP i think you need a crash course on how sound travels.

15. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

Since I use my iPhone4s as a utility device as opposed to a fashion statement, I wasn't overly concerned with its size. In fact, I've bulked it up with a Griffin Survivor case. The case gives me something to grip with my large hands, the phone is less likely to slip out of them, and, if it does, the case probably will protect the glass-on-both-sides iPhone from shattering.

[​IMG]
    iPhone4S in Griffin Survivor Case by hakr100

16. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

My bluetooth mic doesn't reach my mouth either... so is that too small? :rolleyes:
    I think the iPhone is a great size.

17. Edge1978 macrumors 6502

I think the iPhone is the perfect size, any bigger and I would need both hands to text :D

18. HKUSP.40 macrumors regular

Why do you think the microphone is on the BOTTOM of the phone?

19. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Han't it always been that way since the inception of cell phones (mic never reaching your mouth), with the exception of the 1st generation cell phones. As shown on far left.
    [​IMG]

20. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I think I owned all the phones you have picture.

21. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

It's not just the iPhone that is that way. Most phones have been that way since they came out with cell phones and there was no problem before.

22. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

They make microphones that actually stick to you (preachers and others use these) and some will go by the ear and they work great. The mic doesn't need to be by the mouth for it to get the sound.

23. mpossoff macrumors 68020

If iPhone had a 4 inch screen with same form factor...

24. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I don't know why you quoted me for. I know that the mic doesn't need to be by the mouth to get sound.

25. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I'd love a larger phone, but not for the reason you would. People hear me fine, so I see no benefit in the sake of a larger phone just so your mouth can be directly over the mic. I would love a larger screen though...