iPhone tries to send iMessage to non iDevices

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sosinsurr, Jan 25, 2013.

1. sosinsurr macrumors regular

Anyone else experiencing this?

My iPhone tries to send iMessage to people I know don't have an iPhone. For example, I text my sister and it tries to push a blue bubble through, and she's never had anything more than an older iPod. So there's no way it could even be trying to push to an email address. Only way it stops is if I turn iMessage off, which of course isn't an option I want full time.

I've done a fresh restore. Any other ideas?

2. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Has your sister ever had her cell phone as an iPhone? Or recently inserted her sim into an iPhone? It sounds like she used to have an iPhone, and swapped SIM's to another device without signing out of iMessage first. Since Apple still has her number registered as an iMessage user, any iDevice still tries to send her messages as an iMessage.

3. sosinsurr thread starter macrumors regular

No, I'm 100% positive she's never had anything apple related more than a classic ipod. I even asked her what you said to confirm.

4. JAT macrumors 603

That you know of.

Apple's servers detect whether there is an Apple ID associated with the email address or phone #, and signed up for iMessages. Maybe she's typed it into a friend's phone/tab.

5. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

It will stop eventually, this happened to me. When my dad had an iPhone and then switched it would try and send an iMessage for about 2 weeks and then it finally caught on that he no longer had iMessage