iPhone turns 5 this year

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Economist, Jan 11, 2012.

1. The Economist macrumors 6502

The Economist

When the iPhone was introduced, I think it's safe to say that no one had an idea of what was to come; just consider that the App Store was launched over a year after the iPhone was made available.

My first thought was: it's way too expensive. The device was expensive and the plans were also expensive. I said I wouldn't own one in the foreseeable future and to this day I still don't own one, but that's going to change later this year when my contract expires and I sign a new contract for a free 3GS and $35/month plan. Or maybe I'll just pay a little bit of money for an entry–level iPhone 4.

I'm wondering what were your first impressions of the first iPhone? Did anyone here owned one? Where do you think the iPhone and iOS are headed?

[​IMG]

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

For me, it all started when iPhone 3G was released so I can't express my impression on the first generation iphone, and plus the first generation and the second generation was not much different. Only changes was the exterior and the 3G and that's about it. I didn't even think I'd owned a smartphone back then, considering that the iphone 1st generation was expansive and there was no subsidized pricing for the iphone 1st generation.

To be honest, I had the ipod touch first generation so didn't feel like having an iphone. Well my sister wanted one so off we go to the store and buy her an iphone 3G. Well I ended up getting one as well to see what the hype was about.

From my experience, I loved using the iphone and has always been using the iphone. Starting from 3G, then the 3G S, then 4, and now 4S. Of course I don't know what my plans are when the next generation iphone comes about but I may just hold it off until my contract is up.

3. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

It came out when I was in the middle of high school so I wasn't in the target market. Infact, only 1 kid in any of my classes had one and the teacher pretty much stopped class a couple times to comment on it. We all thought he was rich. Infact, I think for awhile I thought anyone who had an iPhone was rich. Granted, I was only 16 but still, $600 plus an expensive contract seemed completely out of perspective.

I had a Palm Treo 650, which was pretty expensive at the time for a 16 year old and I thought it was better overall than the iPhone or so I kept telling myself. :D "How can anyone type on that portrait keyboard with no buttons?"

I watched the original keynote and thought it was a cool device, but couldn't ever see myself with one. Then the 3G and iPod Touch came out in 2008 for a lower price, around then I kinda lost interest in technology so I didn't really notice (sounds weird). I got a 3GS in 2010, then haven't looked back.

I couldn't see myself without an iPhone right now. I've been from prepay phone-to-smartphone-to-featurephone-to-NoPhone-to-iPhone.

4. ghostworld macrumors member

ghostworld

When the first iPhone came out, I'll admit I thought it was dumb. I had a phone, and I had an iPod. Why did I need these in the same device?
    Then a friend of mine got one, and after I checked it out I decided I had to have one. So I got a 3g, now I have a 4. I'd be lost without an iPhone now, and I can't see myself getting any other kind of phone ever again! <3 :apple:

5. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

I was instantly amazed. And of course, wanted one. Soon, very soon I shall have one. Just need my contract to expire.

6. Savor Suspended

Savor

The rumors of an iPod phone was going on for years, but the first time I ever saw a picture of it was on PhoneScoop.

[​IMG]

I was just amazed by its design based inside and out. Cover flow was just amazing for its time and iPhone still has the best way at browsing for your music. I thought the first iPhone was the best thing Apple ever created. They made my dream phone. But then I saw the price at $499-$599 and wasn't sure about getting one just yet since it was just Generation 1 which is usually plagued with problems and didn't have the best features I wanted like a great camera. But I waited and waited for months. I would even watch the iPhone commercials on my PSP over and over. I had iPhone envy for months.

First time I saw one in person was when I was walking near Grauman's Chinese Theater and some guy in a suit was holding it. First time I ever held one in my hand, I was in the Apple Store at South Coast Plaza around October. I saw it again the next month in another Apple Store in San Diego. But around this time, I had conflicting feelings for Apple since my iPod 5G broke after 18 months and just didn't like Apple / Jobs' arrogance. And remember, the first iPhone had many basic features missing and didn't have the App Store yet. Also, jailbreaking wasn't that easy to do yet in 2007. I remember having a choice between the iPhone 2G vs Nokia N82 and I chose the latter in January 2008 because I needed a camera. While it was a better cameraphone and all, I realize now that the iPhone 2G was the better device overall because of the OS and apps even if I felt it was extremely overpriced for its time.

When I got an iPod touch in July 2008, I was amazed at the jailbreaking scene. I ended up getting my brother's iPhone 2G around Nov since my mom didn't like the ringer on it. Then jailbroke it, used it for 19 months and then sold it to use the money for the iPhone 4. Then 16 months later on Oct 5 of 2011 , I ended up getting a second hand iPhone 2G on CL for $90 and it was in pristine condition. Better than my first one. I remember the first time I surfed on it and opening up GSMArena. That was the first time I read that Steve Jobs died. This was just after I saw 50/50 which is about cancer. For some reason that week, I wanted to get another iPhone 2G. I still feel it was destiny for me to get an iPhone 2G the day he died like if SJ was giving me his Jedi mind trick just hours before he died.

On January 9th of this year, I decided to use the iPhone 2G for a day. Still a solid device and holds up well after almost 5 years. Obviously, I would rather use my 2010 smartphones since they are faster, have better features, and have more RAM, but the iPhone 2G is still better than any other phone that came out in 2007. Many all-touchscreen phones were still using the clunky resistive screens back in 2007. That first iPhone was a gamechanging product. A classic and collector's item. One of the all-time great phones ever even with all its flaws early on.

7. eastercat, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

At the time, I was looking at getting a pda phone that played music. Imagine my horror when I found out that really wasn't possible. So then I looked at getting both the pda-phone and an ipod. It didn't seem like a very elegant solution, but I decided I would buy it after a few months. While I was waiting, I saw headlines introducing the iphone. Intrigued, I went over to Apple's site and watched the keynote.
    Holy guacamole:eek:
    Of course, I was going to buy it. Since I was already saving money to buy the pda-phone and ipod combo, I was already well on my way to saving up for the iphone. By the time it was released, I had more than enough to get the 8 GB model.
    I got in line with everyone else. I took my iphone home and it was damn near perfect. Although it took a while for the hackers to break in, I got custom ringtones on my phone. At the time, it was about the only thing I was interested in hacking.
    If I hadn't gotten drunk one night and somehow drowned my phone, I'd have kept it a while longer. But that's another story...:eek:

8. Savor Suspended

Savor

An iPod, a phone, and an internet communicator.

The first iPhone keynote was Steve Jobs' pinnacle as a master showman. Greatest Apple keynote ever. And it worked like magic!

A blast from the past article I remember reading five years ago...

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1575743-1,00.html
    iPhone Commercials (2007)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lZMr-ZfoE4

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I watched the keynote the day it came out and that alone was what convinced me to buy some Apple stock. I knew that no one else had anything close to that in 2007 and that Apple would sell a ton of them. I'd seen many Apple product unveilings, but I knew this one was different. Unlike the Mac, this was finally an Apple computer that people didn't have to switch away from something to buy. All those Windows users out there could just buy one.

That said, the first one was too expensive for what it did, so I didn't buy one that year. Once they added the app store and let AT&T subsidize it, it suddenly did a lot more for a lot less.

I jumped in with the 3G in 2008 and have never looked back.

10. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I personally jumped in when the 3GS came out in 2009, but my older brother had the Original right when it came out and he would let me use it albeit in small increments. He made me watch the original keynote and I was in love but could not afford one until I bought the 3GS. Now I have an iPhone 4 and I cannot wait for what Apple reveals next. :apple:

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

My second thought was: I want/need one right now.
    (and so I duly queued up…)
    :)

Hard to believe it has been 5 years though.

12. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I picked up a 2G iPhone about 2 or 3 months before the 3G iPhone came out. I picked up one via Craigslist and I've been a fan ever since. The updates have been slow, but steady and to my liking as well. Hopefully the next iPhone has a bigger screen.

13. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I was struck when it was introduced at how massive a leap Apple had taken in the smartphone world. I resolved to get one as soon as I could reasonably afford one, because as a User Interface geek, I had to have something as stunningly beautiful and natural as it. I bought mine after the September price drop, back when a 4GB iPhone for $299 was a great deal :p

As the years have gone by, I have been amazed at just how well the original iPhone has aged. I finally replaced it as my phone with an iPhone 3GS, then a 4, and now a 4S. I still have my original around, and still use it occasionally as an iPod. Apple hit upon a beautiful and functional external design layout for the iPhone in 2007 - it is amazing just how little its external features have changed in the last five years. The original iPhone is still a great little phone, even after all this time. I have unlocked mine and use it as an international travel phone. I still love the feel and look of it - it's classy and high-end.

I'm not sure that Apple really *needs* to change all that much about the iPhone, whether in its physical form factor or general dimensions. It's a great device, it always has been, and will probably continue to be for years to come. I can't wait to see what future iPhones look like - I'm sure they'll be Insanely Great!

Attached Files:

14. The Economist thread starter macrumors 6502

The Economist

Thanks guys, I really enjoyed reading your experiences.Thanks Savor for the small article, it was a good read!

15. Savor Suspended

Savor

No problem!

The first iPhone might not have been my favorite one ever. Most people will just end up picking the latest one as their favorites because of the most cutting edge features and specs. The latest is the greatest to them. And the first iPhone probably sold the least being how expensive it was for its time even with the $200 price cut two months later and being available on ONE American carrier.

I think by 3Gs with a beefier specs and more RAM is when I felt the first iPhone should have been. That is the bare minimum for me. While the 3G was the first to reach the mass audience with a more consumer-friendly $199 price tag with contract. The first iPhone didn't even have a video recorder and you needed to get an app via Cydia with bad frame rates to get one. There is an official one at the App Store and it is still as bad as Cycorder.

But it had the best build quality out of them all and most unique to its design. When it comes to the greatest iPhone ever, the first one was the greatest one. The others that followed was just evolutionary including my favorite model and current ALL-TIME best-selling one, the iPhone 4. I guess it is like the Star Wars when it comes to comparing the originals vs the prequels. Even with the flaws of A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, most people regard them as the true classics. ANH for the revolutionary leap in special effects and TESB for the best overall.

The original iPhone was revolutionary since nobody saw an interface like that before packaged in a beautiful design and such a responsive multi-touch screen. Its impact was far greater to the market than the others that followed it.

[​IMG]

16. Merkie macrumors 68020

I absolutely love the matte aluminum back. It looks wonderful, even today compared against all those new superphones. It also felt really great in your hands. I hope Apple returns to the aluminum. I love the design of the iPad 2 as well, it's like a giant first generation iPhone, so Ive's still got it :) .

It's also pretty amazing how Apple managed to pull of such a fluid and responsive OS five years ago. Android superphones still have trouble reaching that level of fluidity after all this time. The iPhone changed the industry. I remember Jobs saying it was 5 years ahead of its time. Well, it wasn't. But it would have been if Apple just kept it for themselves and never release it.

The only company that managed to pull of a similar experience is Microsoft with WP7. It's even more fluid and responsive than iOS, even on two year old hardware. It lacks in a lot of other areas compared to the competition, but they have more potential than any other OS.

Btw: if Apple would ever release some sort of anniversary edition of an an iPhone 2G limited edition with current hardware, I'd buy it in a heartbeat :) .

17. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

5 years on, and the first gen iPhone will always look the best.

Love that aluminum

18. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

Just watched the keynote of the iPhone from 2007 the other day.

The 4S was my first iPhone and I'll never get anything else I don't think.

19. penfan82 macrumors regular

I anted one when iPhone first arrived. I remember I was extremely envious of a guy at work who had one just wasn't in my price range at the time. Now I own an iPhone 4s my first iPhone and I'm loving it