Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atlfilmguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
I have read about this on this forum and others.
I cant find a definitive answer.

I have three contacts that are also in my ICE (in case of emergency) contact. They are my wife, my mom, and my parent's house.
When my wife calls I just see her number and her photo on the caller id. - No ICE.
When either my parents home or mom call I get ICE and MOM, but no photo.

I have searched through all the ways I listed these contacts and cannot figure out how I got my wife's to "work".

I want a way to tell the phone to not display the caller id from ICE.
Anyone have an idea?

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I'm curious about this as well. The "genius" at apple says it can't be done. I'm wondering if iOS4 fixed it.

CSMchris376

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
Illinois
My understanding on how it works from examples on my iPhone, is as the number comes across the caller ID, it searches the phone and displays the info based on alphabetical order. I have a couple of work contacts that have the same general number and it will display both of them if I get a call from that number. It is the same with some family friends. If everyone in the family in my Outlook has the same home phone, but different cell phones, it will display as many of the names as it can fit into the single caller ID line.

I do not know of any method to "fix" it, but in my opinion, it really isn't broke. One of my other phones did the same thing if I had multiple contacts with the same number.

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I do not know of any method to "fix" it, but in my opinion, it really isn't broke. One of my other phones did the same thing if I had multiple contacts with the same number.

You're right, it's not broke...poor wording. Is there a method to have a "preferred contact" displayed? On an old phone, for example, I could put an asterisk symbol at the end of all the nonwanted contacts:

John: 555-7247*
Mary: 555-7247
Paul: 555-7247*

Mary would be displayed when a call was being received from 555-7247. This does not work for the iphone though.

ronaldwroberts

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2011
Fixed!

The answer is '0' (zero)!!!!

Simply add a zero to the end of the number, which won't affect outbound dialing (at least in the US), but does change how the number is seen for caller ID!

Enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.