iPhone unlock benefits question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by todd702, Oct 15, 2013.

1. todd702 macrumors newbie

Just joined the forum!

I had a question regarding unlocking my iPhone. Why are people paying to unlock their phones? It seems like cell carriers unlock them for free. I am with AT&T and it looks like they will unlock up to 5 times. So, is paying for an outside service better?

Thank you,

2. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

Unlocking works for people like me that have never been an AT&T customer, but would like to use their phones on other carriers without restrictions, although with the advent of newer models of iPhones, they don't necessarily have to be unlocked to be usable with other carriers on the same networks (i.e. Straight Talk using AT&T capable SIM card).

3. todd702 thread starter macrumors newbie

Makes sense.

Now just trying to understand why I would pay to have it unlocked instead of having AT&T unlock it for free?

Thanks for your response!

4. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

If you are an AT&T customer, you can easily have them unlock it. There is no additional benefit to paying someone to do for you what you can do for free. The ONLY reason we pay for it, is that we don't have the luxury of going direct to AT&T.

5. todd702 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. alent1234 macrumors 603

and if you travel overseas a lot you can just put a SIM card of a local carrier into your phone to use it instead of paying the crazy roaming fees

7. dave420 macrumors 65816

It may vary by account or situation, but typically AT&T will only unlock a phone after the contract is complete. Paying for an unlock lets you avoid that wait.

8. saud0488 macrumors 6502

If you give them enough of a sob story and get the right person, they'll do it for you. Many people buy locked AT&T phones and take them overseas. Many of these people are not AT&T customers. If you need help, feel free to send me a PM. I'd be more than happy to walk you through how to get it from AT&T!:)

9. lazard macrumors 68000

Unless you find the right AT&T rep, they won't unlock your iPhone until the 2 yr contract on the phone has been fulfilled.

10. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

ATT will not unlock your phone unless you are a customer. That is why the
    unlocks have a business.

11. ffd macrumors newbie

Hey Saud, could you walk me through it? I can't PM you since I don't have 5 posts yet.

12. karmatourer macrumors 65816

karmatourer

Yes,AT&T is good about unlocking.I have mine unlocked for int'l use and also to increase resale value.

13. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

Ummm, 5 posts isn't much, go post...

14. saud0488 macrumors 6502

If could post randomly on some threads, that might help. It's kind of long so I don't know if a post could be appropriate for it.

15. ffd macrumors newbie