iPhone unlock question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dtp8513, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Dtp8513 macrumors regular

I had unlocked my iPhone 5 through a third party on eBay and I got a message saying congrats, your phone is unlocked. I had to replace that device and the second time I did it, it didn't show the message. Is there a way to check (besides buying a new SIM card from a different carrier (I have att)

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The only sure way would be to get a sim from Tmobile and stick it in.
    Sometimes you dont get the message at all but the iphone is unlocked and will work with any sim.

3. EnJaNir macrumors member

Many users have stated that their replacement phones have also been unlocked. I have no personal experience but I think it is dependent on how the transaction is handled at the apple store. Reason why I say this is because they can process it has a replacement or they can process it as a return and repurchase.

4. PLin macrumors 6502

In my experience, replacement unlocked iPhones and even those ordered factory unlocked sometime won't show the message. The message is intended for iPhones that were shipped from the factory locked and then unlocked at some point due to the circumstances of the sale (full price purchase) or a carrier-authorized unlock.

Last year, I bought an AT&T 4S at full price and got the message. When I exchanged it at the Genius Bar a few months later, the replacement was still unlocked but never showed the message. In the About screen, the model number was even different, because they gave me a factory unlocked replacement instead of an unlocked AT&T model.

5. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

As has been said by others here and on similar threads throughout MR, the best way to be sure is to get a Sim from a different provider.
    ESPECIALLY if you plan to go overseas with your phone.
    Do you want to be in Timbucktoo thinking you can get a local sim on some sort of PAYG program and find out that your phone is still locked?
    You can order a t-mob sim online for 99¢, That's a pretty small price to pay for peace of mind.

6. TOYSTER17 macrumors regular

I had an unlocked iPhone 4S (which was unlocked through an ebay seller this past weekend) that was replaced on Monday. The genius or whatever you want to call her, basically told me to wait 10-15min before turning it on so the system can have time to unlock my phone. Well 15min later I turn it on and it wouldn't activate. It was asking me for a valid sim card (I did have my T-Mobile sim in there, which was working just fine with the phone that was replaced).

Once I got home I plugged in the iPhone to my laptop and restored from backup, didn't get the congratulations message this time around but it was still unlocked.

7. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

I get those 99¢ card too and today I went down to a local tmobile store and exchange this:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

----------

I will wait over there with the genius untill my phone show service.

8. Dtp8513 thread starter macrumors regular

Just went to t mobile and he told me it would be 30 to get a sim (because its a nano). Went to Verizon and they couldn't help either. How did u guys get the nano sim

9. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

Get the 99cents one from tmibile.com first, than go down to your local store and switch.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I just got the 99 cent Tmobile microsim and cut it to nanosim.
    Not many Tmobile stores will have the nanosims available yet.

11. Dtp8513 thread starter macrumors regular

You cant buy a nano sim without service, even online. Im not trying to use to mobile, I am trying to use it internationally next week.

12. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Right, but don't you want to be sure your phone is really unlocked? Using a t-mob sim will show you that your phone truly IS unlocked.
    And you don't need a nano sim. Take a micro and cut it to fit. There are plenty of instructions available on MR or elsewhere on the web.

13. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

Is your phone on ATT or Sprint? I was having a minor freakout about whether or not the carrier settings update for the Verizon phone would/could re-lock my factory unlocked on-contract VZW iPhone 5 so I just asked my friend if I could pop his ATT nano-sim into my phone. I was able to verify my phone was still unlocked that way.

If your phone was formerly locked to Sprint, you could do the same thing and ask a friend on AT&T if you can just pop their nano into your phone as well.