iphone unlocked A1429 ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by americaroma, Sep 2, 2014.

1. americaroma macrumors regular

:confused:I recently committed to Nextel Mexico which i think uses cmda evolution or evdo... thing is they offer the iphone 5s but i dont think they will offer the iphone 6 anytime soon.

They gave me a moto x which i dont really planed to use as i wanted to buy the iphone 6 when it becomes available. But... here comes the part i'm most confused...

I tried my sim card on an ATT unlocked iphone 5... No service, then tried it on a Verizon Nokia Icon... No Service.... I assume that the iphone 5 didnt work because it's unlocked for gsm. And after some research i now assume it didn't work on the Nokia on Verizon because even if their gsm part is unlocked their CMDA is still exclusive to work with Verizon only.

So my question is... is the A1429 version of unlocked phones only gsm, or does it work with any carrier using cdma worldwide? :confused:

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

There isn't really CDMA unlocking, it's more basically up to the CDMA carrier to allow a phone on their network or not. Even phones that can technically be on the network still need to be allowed by the carrier--so if your carrier doesn't allow for it to be on the network, then it won't work, and most CDMA carriers only allow their own phones to be on their network and not other CDMA phones even if they can still work on the network.

3. americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks... i went to the apple website and it only sells gsm factory unlocked iphones :( so i dont think they will work with my nextel sim card.

So now i think im basically stucked to either buy the 5s that nextel mexico offers and wait for them to release the 6 if they do :(

4. JFabbiani macrumors member

What about change your current carrier to other that use GSM ??? Just saying...

5. americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

With telcel i get around 300 minutes, 250mb of internet and 3 free phone numbers to call that have to be telcel users too and i have to hang the call before 5 minutes ends for it to be free*... That is for around 40 dollars a month.

Movistar has a similar option, withe less reception.

Nextel (not gsm) offers 6000 minutes, 6GB of internet, 600 minutes for international minutes and other perks for around 45 dollars... so, just saying

Thanks for the tip though.

6. iOz macrumors regular

Nervermind I forgot they merged with sprint here.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Also some CDMA carriers use R-UIM which look like SIMs, but are the same. They are for CDMA phones. Have you checked that you have a SIM and not a R-UIM.

8. JFabbiani macrumors member

That's a real deal breaker!!! Didn't know that! I'm from Venezuela and Movistar (telcel before) has always offered the worst deal!!!

I hope you find a solution without having to change your carrier!

GL

9. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

There are two versions of the A1429, a GSM version, and a CDMA version.

If you have the GSM version (aka the "International" GSM), it won't function with a CDMA carrier.

The GSM model for North America (used for AT&T) was the A1428. It differs from the A1429 by supporting LTE bands used there. The A1429 doesn't support the North American LTE bands, and will function only as a 3G phone.

10. americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

I have no idea how to check that or find the difference :(

so the A1429 is the unlocked gsm version? i dont mind if i get LTE or not, i would be happy with 3G if that one works with a nextel cmda card in it.

11. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

GSM and CDMA are two different standards. Up until recently there have been few, if any devices that are capable of being used on both types of networks. The iPhone 5 comes in distinct versions for each type of network.

The GSM A1429 is unlocked.

You need to determine what kind of network Nextel Mexico is using, then determine whether the CDMA A1429 is compatible and if the carrier will allow you to bring your own device. The GSM version probably won't be suitable.

Here in the U.S., the CDMA carriers are very restrictive with regard to device compatibility.

12. americaroma, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014

americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your help...

when i go to the US apple website and search for the unlocked i only see an option for GSM unlocked, i havent seen any CDMA unlocked version so that is what confuses me the most.

I quoted this from what it says in the bottom letters "The unlocked iPhone 5s model is A1533 (GSM)"

I may be wrong but i assume the only ''unlocked'' versions of CDMA are the Verizon ones but to my understanding only the GSM part is unlocked AND only for international use.

The lady that got me into Nextel Mexico is actually a friend of mine, and keeps assuring me that an unlocked iphone 6 WILL work with them but i have my doubts and i think she is wrong... unless maybe it works but not on LTE.

Again thanks for your help, this is sure a bit stressing for me... if the iphone 6 dosent work for nextel mexico i will use it with a prepaid GSM (telcel or movistar) and use my moto x with the nextel sim in it as a hotspot tethering my 6GB of data... kinds sucks to carry two phones around but i really want the iphone :(

Edit: Update, seems Nextel Mexico is actually using GSM and not cdma, i think i was confusing it with wcdma. I'm currently using the nano sim they gave me along with a moto x model xt 1053 (same as Tmobile usa)... so i think this is good news.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

As far as CDMA goes what I mentioned in my earlier post in the beginning of the thread applies. As far as GSM then all that should be needed is just a regular unlocked phone and that's it.