IPhone Unlocked USA vs Canada.. ATT & Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BBtoIP5, Oct 4, 2012.

1. BBtoIP5 macrumors newbie

I used to live in the US, but for the last 5 years I've lived in the Caribbean Islands and I plan on staying here for the long term.

I've been waiting to get the Factory Unlocked Iphone 5, but I see that its still not available in the US. Strangely, it is available in Canada.

Here is the Apple Store Canada link for the unlocked version: http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone5#about-unlocked

Here is the Apple Store USA link with no unlocked option:
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone5

So am I better off trying to get the Canada version Factory unlocked phone, or to get the ATT no commitment Iphone 5, or just to wait until the USA factory unlocked comes out?

2. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Verizon iPhone is GSM unlocked already. Just get that. Only thing it doesn't connect to is AT&T LTE, but works with all GSM bands including DC-HSPDA bands.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The Canadian one has to be bought in Canada or shipped to a canadian address.
    So if you know someone there go for it.
    Also the full priced AT&T and Verizon i5 are unlocked.
    So if you know someone there that has an AT&T or Verizon account they can buy you one full price no commitment and it will also be unlocked.

4. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

I won't recommend buying the verizon version just because it's the one with more LTE band support

contact your contrys operator on LTE service or future LTE service so that you can correctly buy the correct model.

5. BBtoIP5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice guys.

But now I'm confused.. Should I got with the ATT or Verizon Iphone?

I live in the Caribbean, I visit the US about once a year, and go Europe every few years.

6. avanpelt, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012

avanpelt macrumors 68020

Both the AT&T and Verizon iPhone 5 handsets work on GSM networks worldwide. You'll be able to get a GSM signal worldwide regardless of the phone you choose. The difference comes down to LTE network connectivity.

The AT&T iPhone only works on LTE bands used on AT&T in the U.S. and it also works on the LTE bands used in Canada. It doesn't support LTE bands used in Japan or the LTE bands used in Europe.

The Verizon iPhone only works on LTE bands used on Verizon in the U.S. The Verizon iPhone 5 does not support the LTE bands used in Canada. However, the Verizon iPhone 5 does support the LTE bands used in Japan, and some of the LTE bands used in Europe.

7. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

They love the propretary stuff dont they grrr :p

8. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

An on-contract VZW iPhone 5 will also be unlocked. $199 + $375 ETF should wind up being a bit cheaper than a fully unlocked iPhone 5.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not after a months service, taxes on the full amount iphone unsubsidized price, prorated charges, activation fee and all the back and forth to start service and then cancel the contract.

10. BBtoIP5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it looks like you can no longer buy the AT&T Iphone 5 with no commitment online :confused:

11. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

You never could.

12. BBtoIP5 thread starter macrumors newbie

As recently as yesterday, I could go online through the AT&T site and had the option to buy any Iphone 5 for either "2 year contract" or "no commitment". The no commitment option would let me buy the phone at full price and it would take me all the way to check out.

That option seems to be turned off now and I can only buy the phone on a 2 year contract now.

Looks like I can still buy the phone online device only through Verizon online.

13. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

It used to be there. It looks like AT&T turned off the no commitment option on their website. Maybe you can buy it over the phone no commitment. I would try.