Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulgandersman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Anyone have any idea what the credit score threshold is for getting approved for the iPhone upgrade program through Apple?

Not counting the madness that went on the first day or so, what is a real world case now? Anyone get denied and if so what's your score (if you're willing to share)?

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I think you're more likely to get responses if you post your score and ask if anybody with a similar score got approved/denied.

paulgandersman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Well I actually got approved, but am asking for a friend. Let's say their score is low, around 530.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Well I actually got approved, but am asking for a friend. Let's say their score is low, around 530.

There really isn't a threshold. people in the mid 500s were approved, while those in the 700s - 800s were denied, as well as the other way around. It's turned out to be a complete crapshoot, leaving people with perfect credit denied, poor credit approved, and anything and everything in between.

All you can do is have your friend try.

BL.

sumiregusa

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Anyone have any idea what the credit score threshold is for getting approved for the iPhone upgrade program through Apple?

Not counting the madness that went on the first day or so, what is a real world case now? Anyone get denied and if so what's your score (if you're willing to share)?

While I won't share my specific score, I can say with confidence that my credit is $@!%. I am working to improve it and I have no derogatory or collection accounts. I did have to close out a credit card in the past and my score took a huge dive from that. That being said, I was approved for the IUP instantly and have my phone sitting right next to me because of it.

I know a lot of people are convinced that good credit = automatically approved for IUP but there are other factors involved:
  • Calling your CC company ahead of time before starting the loan
  • Making sure your billing information and addresses all match between your mobile and Apple accounts
  • No issues or glitches from the carrier not knowing how to handle the program
So. Sorry to be longwinded but it's not as simple as "you have good credit so you're in" and I think the T&C list that on the website as well.

paulgandersman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
While I won't share my specific score, I can say with confidence that my credit is $@!%. I am working to improve it and I have no derogatory or collection accounts. I did have to close out a credit card in the past and my score took a huge dive from that. That being said, I was approved for the IUP instantly and have my phone sitting right next to me because of it.

I know a lot of people are convinced that good credit = automatically approved for IUP but there are other factors involved:
  • Calling your CC company ahead of time before starting the loan
  • Making sure your billing information and addresses all match between your mobile and Apple accounts
  • No issues or glitches from the carrier not knowing how to handle the program
So. Sorry to be longwinded but it's not as simple as "you have good credit so you're in" and I think the T&C list that on the website as well.

That all makes sense! Thank you! Do you *have* to have a credit card in order to qualify? Or can you use a bank debit/credit card? (What my friend would be using)

sumiregusa

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
RT(f)M... You need a credit card.

C

ETA: But you can switch to a bank account after the plan is set up.

Yep. :)

You can switch the payment information to anything once you're approved for the loan and register your loan number on the CitizensOne website.

paulgandersman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Yep. :)

You can switch the payment information to anything once you're approved for the loan and register your loan number on the CitizensOne website.

hmmm.... friend doesn't have a credit card, just the bank debit/credit card... wonder if that would count or not.

sumiregusa

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
hmmm.... friend doesn't have a credit card, just the bank debit/credit card... wonder if that would count or not.

Since I didn't try my bank card for the initial purchase, I can't really comment on that. The T&C do say that it has to be a credit card though...

paulgandersman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Since I didn't try my bank card for the initial purchase, I can't really comment on that. The T&C do say that it has to be a credit card though...

Yeah it might just have to be a try and see thing. The bank card can be run as credit lol, so who knows.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
Or, you could, you know... Phone Apple? Before your friend goes in all excited about getting a new phone, and gets turned down.

Or you could, you know... Read through the multiple other threads that went down in the first few days, and see what people commented.

Or you could tell your friend to do both those things...

C

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.