Other iPhone upgrade program: upgrade now or wait?

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
523
7
I bought an iPhone X last year after coming from a 7plus. I’ve been with the iPhone upgrade program since it was offered.

This year I’m torn: I love the size of my X (decent screen size, pocket ability, and the ability to mostly one-hand), but being a big video watcher, I’m tempted by the Max too.

Based on reviews, and the fact that I’m actually quite pleased with my X still, I’m
considering skipping a generation.....

...but I’m curious; does it make more sense (financially really) to just upgrade being a part of the iPhone upgrade program? Or does it make more sense to ride it out, pay off the X, and trade-in when next year’s offering comes out?
 

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
3,545
2,461
Arizona
That’s a decision only you can make. If you want to always have the latest greatest and don’t want to hassle with resale or wear and tear over time then upgrade. You have to pay taxes for the new phone upfront as well as upgrade fee to your carrier so it’s not free. If your happy with your X, you might consider holding on to it (Xs isn’t a huge leap in performance or features) if you want the Max then it’s really an easy choice
 

sjperformance

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2013
582
356
Miami 305
If you plan to pay off the X and trade it in next year or sale it. Why not just get the Max. What you will pay towards X just use it towards Max. Just add the upfront taxes/carrier upgrade fees and that’s it. You’ll probably pay more too depending on GB’s. I went from X to XS Max loving it so far.
 

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
352
123
I would skip. Make the same payment you would on a new phone but pay it off. Then next year when there is a real upgrade you can sell your X for at least $300, helping to make the next phone more affordable.
 

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2010
2,541
808
New Hampshire
Right now with all the connectivity issues being reported on both the XS and XS Max, I’d wait a bit until they get this figured out. Not just me but many complaints.

My 6S Plus always got LTE at my house. My new Max comes in at 3G. Speed tests are 26 times slower than my 6S Plus. Both on the same carrier and iOS. I swapped the SIM card back and forth tonight to run the tests so I have the documentation to open up a ticket with Apple tomorrow.
 

Wags

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2006
1,238
856
Nebraska, USA
I bought an iPhone X last year after coming from a 7plus. I’ve been with the iPhone upgrade program since it was offered.

This year I’m torn: I love the size of my X (decent screen size, pocket ability, and the ability to mostly one-hand), but being a big video watcher, I’m tempted by the Max too.

Based on reviews, and the fact that I’m actually quite pleased with my X still, I’m
considering skipping a generation.....

...but I’m curious; does it make more sense (financially really) to just upgrade being a part of the iPhone upgrade program? Or does it make more sense to ride it out, pay off the X, and trade-in when next year’s offering comes out?
I think the ipx probably after 2 years worth $200 or so if keep. You could always have as back up after then. Don’t force yourself to keep for another year because of the $200 if the max is really what you want.
 

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
1,374
301
That’s a decision only you can make. If you want to always have the latest greatest and don’t want to hassle with resale or wear and tear over time then upgrade. You have to pay taxes for the new phone upfront as well as upgrade fee to your carrier so it’s not free. If your happy with your X, you might consider holding on to it (Xs isn’t a huge leap in performance or features) if you want the Max then it’s really an easy choice
I thought no upgrade fee was charged?
 

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
3,545
2,461
Arizona
I thought no upgrade fee was charged?
Unless you can convince your carrier to drop the fee, when you activate the phone you will see it on your bill. I even swapped the sim card from my old phone to the new one (never using the sim card that came with the new phone) and it still needed to be activated.. Swapping sim cards used to work but, no longer. The new phone knows it’s never been activated and part of the setup is activating the phone. Only way around it is to purchase a sim free version, then you can just swap your sim and the carrier has no clue. Getting the carrier to drop the fee is hit or miss, some have had luck and some haven’t. I was able to get Verizon to split the fee (I paid $15).
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.