iPhone usage in the Dominican Republic???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gaps, Dec 23, 2009.

1. gaps macrumors member

gaps

I will be in the D.R. for about a month and I can use my iPhone for calls to U.S. numbers but AT&T told me I will be billed for $1.50/min with the international plan ($6/month). I understand that the cell service down here is Claro and I could get a prepaid phone with them for local calls. I was wondering if anyone has any experience using the iPhone down here. I am using AIM and Skype to iChat my family and friends back home but it would be nice to use my phone more since I will be out of my hotel room a lot. Thanks!

2. G37dude80 macrumors member

G37dude80

I'm in the DR at this moment and in my opinion you should just jb & unlock your phone. Here you can get sim cards super easy (100 pesos for a sim = less than 3 dollars) and calls to the US count the same as mobile local calls. Use wifi for internet use where available.

3. superflush macrumors 6502a

+1 to this idea. Unless you have an unlocked GSM phone lying around somewhere.

4. gaps thread starter macrumors member

gaps

will you recommend what jailbreak to use and explain the steps? I am unfamiliar with jailbreaking and what about when I get back to the US, just put in my att sim? Thanks!

5. superflush macrumors 6502a

Yes to what is bolded.

I'll try to dig up some jailbreakin+unlock links.

6. superflush macrumors 6502a

7. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

I am planning a trip to D.R next summer and was wondering if they had 3G service with their prepaid cards?

8. G37dude80 macrumors member

G37dude80

Not that I know of. Seems like you need a plan for edge or 3g internet access.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good idea.
    I bet it would be very very expensive to use at&t for international data while roaming there. Stick with wifi and a prepaid local sim and you will pay alot less without any suprises on your monthly bill.

10. gaps thread starter macrumors member

gaps

after jailbreaking my 3gs and besides buying the sim from Claro (the wireless provider) is there anything else i need to do/buy from Claro??? Thanks!

11. superflush macrumors 6502a

You may want to ask the people selling it to you (if they even know) if there is a pay-per-kb internet plan turned on by default. If that is the case, then you want to get fakeAPN (works inside of SBSettings) from Cydia and turn it on as soon as you put the SIM card in.
    (For sim cards that automatically are set to a pay-per-kb internet plan, you can start losing all of your credit instantly because of this)

12. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

How did this turn out for you?