iPhone user being forced to Black Berry Z10 for Work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Anyone know if there is another way around using iCloud for backups? besides connecting your phone to a personal laptop?

I have my IP5 connected to our corp network, now we have to either un-jailbreak, load BES10 software and not use iCloud if you want to use your personal phone on the corp network? I use my personal phone for work, to get reimbursed for our bill...so not to have to carry two phones.

My other choice is carry 2 phones my IP5 and company provided BB Z10....NOT

They do not even let you use an Android so I am stuck unless I can figure a way to sync my stuff by not using iCloud or my Mac...

2. taedouni macrumors 65816

Just carry two phones. Use and whatever you want with your personal phone.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This seems to be easiest solution. If my company threw up enough hurdles for me to use my iPhone, I'd ask them to supply me a phone instead. Of course they're not paying for my bill.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's not worth having work pay for your phone if they're going to place that many restrictions on what you can and can't do on it.

5. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Yep 2 phones it is, they are using Rim's new Mobile fusion app agreement which controls your iphone giving them the ability to pretty do whatever they want with your phone, wipe it, track you, etc.

So my IP5 now is personal and I will be sporting a BB Z10 while I am on call, no more expense my cell bill, but that is ok, I would rather not have anyone tracking me or anything else.

So we went from allowing iPhones, Android Phones and Blackberry's to BB only as my company is a BB only company now? Why you ask? I have no clue, but we are AT&T and so is my own phone, so that makes it a little easier.

6. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

Being the gadget geek that I am, I actually enjoy having two phones (work + personal). I try to have one Android and one iPhone so I can enjoy both worlds. :thumbup:

7. 960design macrumors 68020

This completely confuses me, I blame it on Monday. What does iCloud backups have to do with work policy? What exactly is your company complaining about with iCloud backups?

8. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Since our exchange is backed up, they do not want any other sort of backup method enabled why your phone is connected to their network, ie iCloud, DropBox etc they say it puts company data integrity at risk? I worked for the DOD and they had less requirements then this company does?

The BES10 software alone controls your phone and gives them the ability to wipe your entire phone and GPS track you, so to that point I will use my IP% for personal use and have them supply me a crappy BB for work use, just will be turning it off when I am not on call, they do not need to track me and where I am or what I am doing when I am not on call.

9. Tig Bitties macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

Can't modern cell phones still track you, even with the power off ? Not sure if even a battery pull does the job ? Sounds like oif you just carry a BB10 with power off, they can still track you ? Pretty scary

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't even consider using a work phone to make personal calls, texts, store personal data etc. Way to many privacy concerns. Not that there aren't tons of privacy concerns with your personal phone -- but its one less dimension you have to worry about.

11. taedouni macrumors 65816

Is it possible for you to state what company that you work for (or PM)? I'm just curious.

12. corys00 macrumors regular

I hate to say it but to be blunt if I'm paying your cell phone bill I set the rules.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If there's nothing powering the phone, then no, they can't track the phone.

14. bigalow macrumors member

I believe if you place the phone in airplane mode it stops their ability to track the phone

15. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I'd carry two phones and call one the "Bat Phone" like Ari Gold :cool:

16. skratch77 macrumors 65816

ask them about knox on android,its whole purpose was for companies to have full control over your cell and also have your personal stuff on there.

There are some gs4s coming out with even 2 sim cards on them to give you 2 numbers and knox encyption

17. ParagJain macrumors 6502

Imagine a Z10 and iPhone 5 in pocket wearing jeans..
    I'll still envy the situation, both the phones are great in their own space ...

18. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

But then that kind of defeats the purpose of the phone, i.e., making calls using it etc.

20. Ta0jin macrumors 6502

I don't understand the big deal if you can be tracked, are you off doing something you shouldn't be doing while you are supposed to be working? Do you work for Treadstone?

21. samwise macrumors regular

I believe that the OP means that they could've tracked him outside work hours if he'd not accepted the company-provided BB Z10. They can, presumably, still track the Z10, but outside work hours, there's the possibility that he could leave it at home and still have his personal iPhone on him and they won't know what he's up to.

22. bigalow macrumors member

yes, but the person I quoted/commented on was referring to the scariness of being tracked on a smartphone. I simply responded to his comment - not the practicality of using the device in that manor.

The fact remains, if your employer supplies you a smartphone they have the right to track it and it's activities (and ultimately you). If you don't like that fact then provide your own phone.

23. 960design macrumors 68020

Depends on who 'their' is.

To get access to our network, users must agree to install a management profile that controls the phone's access and rights to the level of that specific user.

That profile can disable backup, photo stream, ect.

The user can opt out of the profile by deleting it whenever they wish. This will of course remove all apps we've purchased for them, their ability to connect to our network, ect.

Does this help?

Complete Opinion and utterly useless drivel follows:
    To be honest it sounds like your IT department doesn't really have a grasp on security or mobile devices in general.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I have no clue where you work, but it sounds like you answered your own question right there. Corporations have been favoring blackberries for this very reason. For all intents and purposes, a blackberry is going to do everything you need to (for work), and the company has more control over it than anything else, really.

Anyway, please give us your impressions of the z10 in the "other" forums when you get a chance. I am intrigued, but not willing to drop $600+ on an unproven device just yet. I might pick one up used when the demand/price drops.

25. vaio1990 macrumors member

vaio1990

Do you live in Waterloo? I thought the Z10 is completely unpopular in the corporate world