iphone user thats going to switch over to android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by surjavarman, Apr 2, 2012.

1. surjavarman, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2012

surjavarman macrumors 6502a

I want to announce that I am going to switch over to android very soon. I am interested in the HTC one S.

I am tired of this old, boring wall of applications that suppose to represent an OS. I have been using iOS for I think its 4 years now and its basically the same back then as it is now. They basically ripped off some features from android and put it in ios. Well it definitely improved the OS but its still boring and stale.

But the biggest beef is the hardware. I have the iphone 4 and that was a significant upgrade back then. But the iphone 4s is just a blasphemy. Its a marginal upgrade to the iphone 4. Its essentially the same phone! I have been browsing this subforum and the news subforum. Well everyone is screaming for a 4.5+" screen including me. Hey can they be so stubborn.

I am sorry but the OS is severely lacking aswel as the hardware. I used my buddy's galaxy nexus. I see him using it every time. I am jealous and he has me converted.

I am just angry at apple. It's pushing me towards android while I am an ios user since the 2nd generation iphone with this innovation (read: no innovation)

2. batting1000, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  3. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

You are waking up, from the iSheep spell, good for you :)

I have the Galaxy-Nexus, and it is hands down my favorite smartphone of all time, and I have owned quite a few...Blackberry 8900...Blackberry 9700...iPhone1...iPhone3G...Nexus-One...EVO 4G...Nexus-S 4G...Galaxy S2...Galaxy-Nexus now.

To me the iPhone is the same ol same ol, just a screen full of app icons, or looks like your app drawer is always open :rolleyes: And that tiny wristwatch 3.5" screen is so lame, plus it's color look washed out.

The HCT One X is one bad ass phone, check out this new review;
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/2/2919202/htc-one-x-review

The One X's display is, without a hint of hyperbole, the best I've ever seen on a phone. Full stop. Seriously, I'm struggling to find fault with it in any way: it's got a near-perfect 180 degree viewing angle and perhaps the most accurate color reproduction and color temperature available. At 720p, it falls well into "retina" territory where the individual pixels become invisible to the naked eye.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You could have posted this in one of the threads already discussing moving to the Android.

Good luck with the decision. It has its pluses and minuses.

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I'm curious how many people visit the Android forums to announce that they're moving on to the iPhone and if the people care any more than we do here.

6. -aggie-, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012

-aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I just switched to a Galaxy Note after being a long time iPhone user. However, I'll never create a thread to ask anything here.

7. cave1238 macrumors regular

Just switched back a couple of hours ago to my EVO 4G from the Iphone 4S because of the boredom, WHAT A SHAME!

8. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Some people are just silly. Tired of looking at the same boring wall of apps? You want them to spin around and sing songs while throwing piles of poop around your screen? They are just icons that launch an app! Who gives a flying crap what they do or even look like? It has ZERO to do with how that app functions and by the way, they usually function much better in iOS. If you are so bored that you stare at your app icons all day and wish they did cool things, you seriously need to get a life.

9. batting1000 macrumors 604

I don't know anyone who would want poop on their screen.

10. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

To each his own. I just don't get why people have to announce it. :eek:

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    This is something that's been going on for decades online... and in real life too :)

When people feel a connection to a group, possibly because of a long time being around them, they feel like they can talk to that group.

It happens everywhere that there's a community, whether it be a Land Rover group with members buying Jeeps, or a New York City forum with members moving to Florida, or a Sprint forum with people going to Verizon, or yes... you guessed it... iPhone groups with people buying Androids.

12. DryEyez macrumors 6502

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The exact words that came to mind for the original post.

14. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

It's like having a child who wants to rebel against the house rules and run away from home... only to realize how cruel and tough it is out in the world, and how good they had it at home...Eventually they come back with their tails between their legs begging you to take them back in..... Happens time and time again.

15. macMD macrumors 6502

macMD

Cool and good luck. I have been back and forth between Android, iOS, WP7 and BlackBerry OS 7. I think one of the biggest draws on the Android side is the variety of devices especially if you go GSM you can get unlocked ones to have fun with.

But the downside (especially in the US) is of course the lack of consistent OS updates. IF, and I do mean IF Google would actually take a hint from Microsoft and set a minimum spec for the hardware you would see OS updates more consistently.

Now IF Google took a bit from Apple they would take more control of OS updates and get rid of the UI overlay that honestly most users could live with or without.

The Galaxy Nexus is the most solid of the currently released (HTC next phones are very nice) Android phones but again Carrier involvement in OS updates is a crippling factor.

I didn't buy the iPhone because the 3.5" screen is the best fit (it's too small for me, I want 4") but knowing I will get the OS updates when they are ready was a bigger factor.

That said I will likely continue to role with whatever has the best offering at the time I upgrade and it could be anything next.

It would be nice if the market was about innovation and not litigation and perhaps Tim Cook will do another thing Jobs wouldn't do, settle the lawsuits with licensing so everyone can move on.

16. batting1000 macrumors 604

Why is device variety bad? It's not like you're using all of them anyway. You choose one you like and that's that.

17. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

To quote an article from a few days ago...

You alienate your best customers. Over and over and over again. How do you think Sensation 4G customers felt when their phones were bested less than four months later? Mobile is the one and only durable goods industry I'm aware of where a gnat-like product life cycle is considered "normal." From the consumer's perspective, there's no great reason why it should be — top-tier phones are $200 to $300 upfront these days, and the financial commitment around that device can add up to $3,000 or more. This doesn't happen in home theater, it doesn't happen in gaming, and if you don't include component spec bumps, it doesn't happen in the PC business.

You induce paralysis at the register. After a few cycles of this madness, consumers catch on that they're stuck in a zero-sum game. They're always asking themselves (and us) what's around the corner. You deny them the comfort and the reassurance of knowing that their device will be "the best" in its class, if only for a while.

You make it more difficult on yourself to keep devices updated in a timely fashion. This one's just simple math: more SKUs means more firmwares, and more versions of those firmwares. Each of those versions needs the care and feeding of an engineering team, and there are only so many engineers to go around. If a particular model is unpopular — which is more likely when you're releasing a countless array of them — long-term support becomes an even greater risk. Think of the HTC Aria versus the wildly successful HTC EVO 4G, both released around the same time.

18. batting1000 macrumors 604

Well it's not just Android devices that are bested. The iPhone looked like garbage once MWC brought us the HTC One X, among others. The iPhone is bested every time a new high-end Android device is released. When you buy a phone, you have to realize that technology is always advancing, and that shouldn't be a surprise.

19. AndroidTriumph macrumors newbie

Good for you! I was in the same boat when they introduced the iPhone 4S and swithced to Android. But are you getting the S and not the HTC One X. That is the real power house.

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Even so, the amount of threads are much less than here. At least from my review while on those two forums. They suck for finding stuff about Android phones, TTYTT. I've since used the XDA forums or here to find out information about using my Galaxy Note.

21. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

I'm one of those people who has both platforms. As previously stated, android has its plus and minuses. While it sounds cliche, I do like the diversity each brings to my experience.

However if I HAD to give up one, it would be android hands down. iPhone handles everything remarkably with minimal glitches. It's a solid device. Android isn't there yet in that respect.

It will be interesting to see what the new iPhone brings...

22. Sunsean macrumors 6502

Interesting - just made the reverse journey, almost. Galaxy s2 to iphone 4. The s2 was a great phone, the best Android I had used, but after 3+ years of Android, I was ready for an iphone. It's early yet, but so far I am loving it. It's all perspective, but for me, going to the iphone has been an upgrade.

23. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Couldn't have said it better myself. I also had both platforms up until yesterday when I sold my Galaxy S2. I was willing to take a smaller screen because it was a better quality one, a smaller battery because it actually lasted all day and a more "controlled" OS because it was far more polished and stable.

24. batting1000 macrumors 604

Remember, iOS also doesn't throw poop on your screen. :cool: