Iphone V1 on pay as you go At&T allowed to get 3g for $199?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aerospace, Jun 16, 2008.

1. aerospace macrumors 6502a

I know thier not allowing prepaid option but I've been on at&t prepaid for ~10months, will they make me pay extra to get 3g on contract?

Just wondering, haven't heard anything about it yet...

2. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I suspect you will be eligible for the $199/$299 pricing as long as you pass the credit check and sign a 2 year commitment to a normal rate plan.

3. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

What he said. You also won't be able to port your current number over. I'd keep the iPhone you have. Exactly why I'm keeping my current one.

4. aerospace thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats the plan, I was just wondering in case I changed my mind.

In fact I may downgrade from $49/mo to the internet only plan at $20 with voice minutes at 40cents a pop. Should save quite a bit since I rarely use my phone for calls.

...spend the money on apps for 2.0 lol

5. aerospace thread starter macrumors 6502a

thinking it to the next level, if true, you could buy an iphone v1, signup for pay as you go, upgrade to 3g and contract essentially canceling the pay as you go, get the subsidy, and sell v1.

...you follow that so far?

So if you sell it for what you paid, you get the $200 subsidy for $49

or did I miss something?

6. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I am not following you.

New customers get the $199/$299 rate. Why would buy a phone just to resell it and sign up for pay as you go? You would end up in the same place.

7. aerospace thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you have an iphone on att you get the 3g for $199.

Those not eligible for upgrade dont get the subsidy.

Not saying its a good option, but this method allows you to get the subsidy for the $49 you pay for 1 month on pay as you go, saving $200.

8. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I think you're wrong. I currently live in Hong Kong. I can go (on Jul 11 or later) over to the States, pop in on an AT&T store, and buy (and sign up for a contract) a 3G iPhone for $199 for an 8GB. No need to be eligible for an upgrade to get the subsidy.

9. aerospace thread starter macrumors 6502a

A new user gets it because AT&T wants to get your business, if you pass the credit check.

They have less incentive if you already are on At&T to give you $200 discount on a new phone. Hence the whole your stuck in a contract you can't get out of unless you pay $175 fee, so why should I give you something for nothing argument.